• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck ball extraction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob K

36 Cl.
Reaction score
My latest black powder challenge is a stuck mini ball that I could not pull out with a screw type ball retriever. I came across this video which gives me hope. After swamping the powder load I’m going to give this a try. Please let me know if this is a good/bad approach.

Get a CO2 dispenser designed for the task. Re seat the conical and shoot it out. If you aim for some soft sand, etc. in many cases the conical will be good enough to re-use. It comes out pretty good- clear the muzzle away from your feet, etc.
I should mention, pulling a ball out can be difficult but a conical, with much more bearing surface- get the CO2 dispenser. I made a little suede leather pouch for mine so it doesn't look too out of place.

I just used my air compressor to remove a conical with zero issues. I put the muzzle in a cardboard box and it came out with authority and also cleared out the powder charge. Air nozzle has a coned rubber tip that made it easy to direct air into flash channel with nipple removed. Anyhow, this would be what I would try first. If that doesn’t work, zerk fitting and grease gun will definitely get it out. You may find, like I did, that the less messy option does the trick before you resort to greasing your barrel.

I just used my air compressor to remove a conical with zero issues. I put the muzzle in a cardboard box and it came out with authority and also cleared out the powder charge. Air nozzle has a coned rubber tip that made it easy to direct air into flash channel with nipple removed. Anyhow, this would be what I would try first. If that doesn’t work, zerk fitting and grease gun will definitely get it out. You make find that the less messy option does the trick before you resort to greasing your barrel.
Exactly. The air compressor/compressed air route has worked for me 99% of the time. I use it to unload my hunting guns every several days while hunting or if I am not going out for some time.

I recently snapped a jag off in a bore with steel wool wrapped around it cleaning rust from a bore. Compressed Air wouldn't get it out. Step two was the powder in the nipple trick. That worked just fine.

Step three would have been the grease gun route.

Many different ways to do it. If it is badly stuck and the other methods don't work, the grease method is a sure thing.

The first dryball I ever witnessed was way before the internet. I was just learning about BP shooting and back then it presented a real brain twister ensued by extreme confusion. Eventually old cuz removed ball with an extractor screw. Reading about some of the adventures I see happening today, without the internet we would have to had a replacement barrel. LOL

Lesson #1- don't be afraid to shoo talkative or intrusive strangers away who are too ignorant to know to not bother someone that's loading a muzzleloader

It's almost like, the moment you pour a powder charge down the pipe is the moment some random guy will emerge from the weeds to talk about some nonsense to you

BP Maniac Shooter demonstrated methods are old tried and true ways to clear a "dry ball" situation. I still carry a ball puller screw and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I still have an old, I believe T/C C02 ball remover and it never worked.
The shop air and grease methods can certainly work by why not just clear the stoppage at the range or field and continue shooting?

BP Maniac Shooter demonstrated methods are old tried and true ways to clear a "dry ball" situation. I still carry a ball puller screw and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I still have an old, I believe T/C C02 ball remover and it never worked.
The shop air and grease methods can certainly work by why not just clear the stoppage at the range or field and continue shooting?
Under normal conditions I do like Maniac Shooter and always have a screw with me, this method is good and simple if you remember to seat the bullet on the bottom before shooting, but that's another topic. What I mean when I say that fitting the job like Idaho Ron grease is that you can get the whole bullet out in any condition, an old bullet in a rusty barrel, barrel from somewhere, and you can't get the bullet out, and in all cases, grease is way stronger than a screw or a bit of powder behind...

Do you know how I know that? :ghostly:

I would imagine that when the time comes that a ball, jag, or brush fails to shoot out with a bit of powder, I will certainly have to try the grease method.

What is the cost of Grease, Gun, and fitting compared to a CO2 cartridge for those of us who don't happen to have such laying around?

Under normal conditions I do like Maniac Shooter and always have a screw with me, this method is good and simple if you remember to seat the bullet on the bottom before shooting, but that's another topic. What I mean when I say that fitting the job like Idaho Ron grease is that you can get the whole bullet out in any condition, an old bullet in a rusty barrel, barrel from somewhere, and you can't get the bullet out, and in all cases, grease is way stronger than a screw or a bit of powder behind...

Do you know how I know that? :ghostly:

Latest posts

Back