• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stringging a hammock between supports

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo T

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Fur trade era. Being old and less pliable I prefer to be off the ground. Would the posts in a wedge tent hold a hammock??

Nope.

At least not for my 300 lbs, and using standard pine based poles.

An 18th century wedge tent only uses the poles for vertical support of the ridge pole. So when staked the tent pulls ↓ downwards, holding the ridge pole on top of the supports. The poles are too thin and light to hold the weight of a hammock pulling thus → ← , and then there's the side to side problem of swaying to deal with too. Yet that's talking "normal" uprights....

Now IF you changed the poles from 2x2's to 4x4's, and worked out some sort of slot arrangement at the top so that the ridge pole was a 2x4, and would hold against the pulling force of the hammock, and you made some sort of inverted T to act as a base for the ridge poles, then it should work. What you'd do is in effect, make a frame to hold the hammock, and a larger than standard wedge would simply go over it as the sides on a wedge are at a rather sharp angle, and stake it to the ground, to act as a shelter for your free standing hammock frame.

LD

Bo T said:
Fur trade era. Being old and less pliable I prefer to be off the ground. Would the posts in a wedge tent hold a hammock??
A cot would be a better choice.

Not a good idea unless you have doors on both ends of the tent and place it between two trees between two trees using the trees to hang the hammock from. Then you have the issue of rope strength....I've had 1/2" sisal break on me... :nono:
It would also be a short and uncomfortable lay.

A cot is a much better choice and allows more room in the tent.

"A cot is a much better choice and allows more room in the tent."

Agreed. I used to have a number of WW2 army cots and often used one with a half inflated air mattress on it. It was comfortable and putting my gear under the cot actually gave me much more room in my wedge than any other setup I had used.

SPOT ON.

General Washington & L&C had/slept in "field beds", i.e., cots. Further, Francis Marion (The Swamp Fox of AWI fame) mentioned his "campaign bed" in a "letter home", so something like our modern army cots must have been well-known/used by the late 18th Century, if not before.)

I find hammocks UNPLEASANT to actually sleep overnight in.

yours, satx

Fwiw, LTG Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson's "campaign bed" looked rather like a WWII-style Army cot except that it was made of metal. = Some years ago it was displayed at The Confederate Museum at Richmond.

yours, satx

I've slept on many an Army cot, from Korea to my last moose hunting camp. I slept well most times.

sidelock said:
I've slept on many an Army cot, from Korea to my last moose hunting camp. I slept well most times.
A mattress/pad of some sort greatly improves the experience.

Latest posts

Back