• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

strengthening for better shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like many others here I am afflicted with various age related health problems. One, for me, are my shoulders. Both have torn up rotator cuffs. For those who don't know, a RC is the collection of muscles that attach to the shoulder and allow us to move our arms and lift things. For shooting, on me, the muscle most of us use to hold up a rifle is simply gone. The remaining muscles do not really allow me a steady hold. But, recently I acquired an exercise device that has helped tremendously. (took two ribbons at our club shoot yesterday :grin: ) It is simply a rubber tube with handgrips at each end. I stand on the tube and pull with my left hand to the offhand shooting position. Up to now I have been using weights to try to strengthen my remaining muscles but with limited success. But, this stretchy device has help tremendously and I am very happy. One of the ribbons was third place aggregate for four matches we shot. Meaning I am now not far out of serious contention anymore. For a few years I was concerned my shooting days were nearly over. But, now, I'm feeling like I am back in the game. One of my 'retired' rifles (my favorite flintlock, I feel like a sinner using percussion) is, again, holdable for practice and I may bring it out of the safe for competition again. If you have strength concerns, I reccomend the stretchy device. BTW, it is very light and can fit in luggage for trips.

While my day's of shooting aren't as far advanced, I do know my day's are numbered too.
The thing is I guess I have a different view of it.
I'm not concerned if I continue winning or not.
My Trophy wall is full enough, my shooting and camp gear has been well padded with prize table picks.
I noticed years ago that it was the well seasoned experienced shooters that walked to the prize table over and over again, several times in the season and at many different vous,,
It got tiresome watching those old guy's gloat, and I was hearing younger shooters complain and not even want to participate in shoots if "so-n-so" and his pals were going to be there.

We hear many times here about how there's a lack of young folks entering our sport. Well instead of seeing youth being defeated all the time, I've turned more and more into mentoring, helping these young guy's develop the techniques and skill needed to be the next generation of winning shooters.
I enjoy seeing them and not myself walking to that table. I don't need to prove my prowess any longer, my name is down on enough lists.
It's fun to pull a shot and watch a young guy gain confidence and strut his stuff.
The greatest compliment to the master is for his student to win.

I wonder if you could post a drawing of your
solution for the shoulder problem...I have a close
friend who is suffering the same condition and my
watching him get worse isn't fun...He doesn't place
high in compition but would like to see himself do
better...The drawing [or pic] would be much
appreciated. Thanks
Wulf

You can find the bands at any physical therapist's office, they come in several different "strengths", all color-coded. You can fashion a device by simply tying a handle on one end and holding the other end under your foot. Unfortunately, for me, I am well acquainted with those bands, having broken my left arm about 18 months ago. It's still weaker than the right but at least I can paddle my kayak again! YIPPEE!

And, necchi is correct, just because you're not a "force to be reckoned with" in the tournaments doesn't mean we shouldn't compete anyway! Cripes, the shootin' is still FUN!!

I like to go to the competitions to have a good time. I do like it when I do well, but most of the time I realize I'm the most important one there. If no one comes in last, no one can come in first! It's better to enjoy the company and the shooting. Maybe I need to look for some of those bands.

Thank you so much for your reply...I will forward
the good news....
Wulf

I don't work out per se. I lift several bales of hay per day to feed the animals. Carry 50 lb sacks of feed. Carry buckets of water etc. Upper body strength and hand strength helps in both offhand and pistol shooting. It also helps combat the fatigue that some shooters get after a few relays.

roadgrader said:
I to am recovering from RC surgery. Where did you get said device? Stacey

As for recovering, a word of advice, from experience. Don't allow the physical therapist to overwork you. Many PTs seem to think everyone is a 20 year old athlete. When I had my surgery one doctor told me to work only to my level of comfort. I forgot that advice and tried to accomplish what the PT was encouraging me to do. Bad news, the muscle popped and is now unrepairable. The device can be purchased at any store that sells exercise equipment. Wal-Mart probably has a couple styles. Medical supply will have them, but at very high prices. I am very pleased with results to date with this. :grin:

It's called "Ultimate Pro Gym in a bag". My daughter gave it to me several years ago, and I had to get the dust off it to read the label. Now that I got it out...I think I'll put it to use again!

There are several different bands, providing 7 levels of resistance.

Good on you! You are an inspiration! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

I've seen too many guys just give in to the pain and discomfort, and retreat to the couch. In a short time...they're being carried to their final resting place.

And shoot your best. Make those other shooters work for the win. All too soon, your prowess will be but a good memory.

If you do pull a shot, for the benefit of some youngster, just smile to yourself (ok, you can tell necchi).

I look forward to hearing about your continuing improvement. And Thank You, for sharing this. :hatsoff:

I think they call it thera band. It is very useful. It helped me get past a "frozen shoulder" a few years ago.

necchi,
I agree with everything you are saying. You are a credit to the shooting sports. :hatsoff:

This is on of the best threads I've seen here, lately. :thumbsup:

Guys, I went thru debridement surgery where they took apart my non-functioning left elbow, cleaned it out, and then put it back together. The physical therapist had boxes of big rubber tube banding, in different resistances, used in all sorts of exercises. Stop by one of them and ask them if they can recommend a particular exercise as well as hack-off and sell you a couple of lengths of the right ones -- light to start and stronger to progress to.

I have a finger exerciser that has a gun-sight top i'd play with at the office occasionally -- colleagues half-joked about me going postal. Boy were they ever sorry!

If you are a veteran and use VA, they will give you a bunch of different colors. Thera Bands. Should be able to buy them over the counter.

Back