• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storing black powder for flinter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8W8

32 Cal.
Reaction score
It has gotten pretty hard for me to find black powder lately so I'm thinking about keeping 3 or 4 pounds of 2F and 1 pound of 4F on hand. I shoot about a half pound of 2F per year. The 4F is only for the pan and should last me for some time. I know not to keep it in a gun safe but was wondering what is the safest way to store it long term in a home with a connected garage. Thanks in advance

Keep in an old refrigerator. Add a padlock. Or keep it in a large Army surplus ammo can.

As long as its dry it will keep indefinitely. I keep more than that in the box that I tote back and forth to the range.

My gun safe is 3/16" steel but is not fire rated. I was told that putting 5 lbs of powder in this type of safe might be dangerous for first responders should there ever be a fire. Was this incorrect?

I've been keeping on average 8 lbs of BP on a shelf in my workshop in the original cans for years w/o incident. A tight cap is the only precaution I take. But, if you can't sleep nights worrying about the BP, keep it in your safe.

BP just won't explode all by itself like some kind of "time bomb"......Fred

Restrictions on storage of black powder vary based on where you live.

What you don't want is for your powder to be stored in a container that will hold pressure of exploding powder. That's why it is said that your safe, while good for guns, is not good for storage of black powder. You are really better off keeping it in a cardboard box or small cooler with a loose lid in your garage.

As a side note, if you keep gasoline for your lawn mower in your garage, you have more explosive power than you have in your black powder. Fire fighters know how to deal with the gasoline.

I use old coolers, that I pick up for cheap, at yard sales, flea markets, to store things in my utility building. I've never used them for black powder, but it sounds like a good idea. The coolers work well for protecting other items.

hadden west said:
I use old coolers, that I pick up for cheap, at yard sales, flea markets, to store things in my utility building. I've never used them for black powder, but it sounds like a good idea. The coolers work well for protecting other items.
I too use old coolers but add 1/2" sheetrock in alternating layers to give a good 1" or more fire-rated insulation all the way around - bottom, sides & easily to life out top piece(s). Don't add a lock ...

Recall that 5/8" rock provides 1-hour fire rating.

I recall a BP expert/historian who lived in the city. He stored his BP outside under his porch.

I know another guy who has a covered hole in his back yard in which he stores his BP.

I dug a hole, installed a plastic trash can, and made a platform on which a bird bath could sit....

Storing ammo and B/P in a gun safe is a bad idea. From what I understand if you do have a fire, the ammo will cook off long before your guns are damaged by the heat and the resulting fire and projectiles will destroy your guns. Without the ammo your guns may come through the fire OK if your safe has an adequate fire rating.

I keep my B/P out in my detached shop, my modern ammo in the house but not in the gun safe.

Eric, you bring up an interesting option. For the past 50+ years I've just kept the BP in the house, sealed tight in original containers. Since retirement I shoot a lot more (5 or 6 days a week) and as a result keep a lot more powder on hand. I usually order 20 cans each order. I,m not really comfortable with that much powder in the house but haven't really considered my options. Give my your ( the groups ) thoughts on storing BP in weather tight containers such as ammo cans in an un heated shop. That might be a good option for me.

For the past 5 years, I have been storing my powder just as you describe in the original cans inside military ammo cans. I keep a couple cans of powder in the house but the rest is stored as described in my shed in back of my house. It seems to keep quite well out there. No problems so far.

This has been done a gazzilion times, and the typical paranoia usually crops up,,
Buy an old GI ammo can and keep it on the floor in a closet.
In the event that your home is fully engulfed in a raging fire, the powder will not explode. Low on the floor is away from the massive heat.
Heat changes the sulfur in the powder, the GI can's lid is designed to loosen in massive heat.
Fire Departments do not worry about ammo or powder in a fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm

Click on publications and advisories then Pamphlet: Recommendations for Safe Ammunition Storage and Handling

The gist of it is powder doesn't explode it burns fast, as someone else already mentioned gasoline is more explosive so your lawn mower is more dangerous than your powder.

They recommend a 1" this wood box which does not latch, you don't want it sealed to build up pressure.

Some local laws restrict amounts, 10lbs for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smokeless powder burns, black powder will explode. I don't worry about it, however, and keep my stash in my safe. Been doing this for a while.

BP doesn't weaken with age. I've read somewhere that it actually increases with long age, but I can't document that.

Lots of old-timer guns loaded a long time ago sometimes go off and wound the owner.

One person year's ago said to store it under your wife's side of the bed.

I store my powder on a shelf in the house. If it is hot enough to ignite, there is something else you should worry about - call the fire department, because your house is on fire...

Back