• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stolen Cap & Ball Pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks Zonie. I will also save the list to check against suspect pistols. :( Larry

If they sell them to a pawn shop, you may get them back IF the police give a manure enough to check them.

I'm surprised you had all of the serial numbers. I'd better write mine down.

He probably didn't know what he was stealing. Hoods don't want cap & ball guns.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :cursing:

Let me school you a bit...

First, Zonie has a good chance of getting them back as the serial numbers are available, but those serial numbers might be removed. Zonie just has to be sure that they were entered as stolen "guns" and not reproductions, as stolen guns are never deleted from the national computer, but somebody might think a "reproduction" is some sort of non-firing copy or toy. If they are listed as stolen property the maximum time that they will be held in the computer is 2 years. So if I arrest some schmuck here just outside of DC, and he's got one of Zonie's guns..., I will know in a matter of minutes when I run the serial number.

"Hoods don't want cap & ball guns."
Really?
Bad guys don't care what it is as long as it looks like a handgun. They commit bank robberies with pellet guns. The average shop owner or mugging victim doesn't have enough gun knowledge to tell the difference.

Zonie, I find it very wierd that the suspect knew exactly where to enter your home, to avoid your wife, and to gain access to the handguns. The person has been inside your home in the past. The pellet rifle was taken for the suspect's use... look to a teenager as your culprit.

btech wrote

I hear people talk all the time about facing down an intruder with a gun. Unless you're active, trained military I wouldn't recommend it. If you've never actually shot another person before face to face you will hesitate they will not.

And your experience is what?

As a cop of 23 years, a detective of 17, and a former USMC Infantry/Recon Officer, I would highly recommend it. More intruders are chased away each year by citizens who merely produce a firearm than are apprehended by police (FACT). Bad guys do not want to run the risk of being shot.... this is why places where it's very tough to have any form of firearm in the home are rife with burglaries (Washington DC for example). While it's true you need to have it loaded, or be able to load it in a matter of seconds..., as an empty gun is a paper weight, and you need to be prepared to fire it at the intruder, but it's much more likely he will flee upon sight of the firearm.

Don't fall for the total and unadulterated BS that you hear such as "A person is much more likely to have a gun taken from them and used on them than to chase a criminal away."

:bull:

THAT is anti-gun crapola without any study. They got that crapola from looking at police officers who were disarmed and then shot by their own weapons... but ignored the fact that 95% of all officers disarmed of their weapons were incapacitated by another weapon first. Whether they were killed with their guns or with the suspect's weapon, it was going to happen anyway. They ignored the fact that most officers that fall to this situation advanced alone, without waiting for backup, into a situation they knew was dangerous, and were ambushed. How that applies to a home owner or civilian is beyond all reason.

In closing, Zonie, you need to beef up your house hardware, mostly for your wife's peace of mind, but it's pretty rare that a bad guy will come back, as they assume you'll be ready for them next time. Further, the guy probably knows he didn't get all the guns, and has no idea if you have others unknown to him or elsewhere in the house. After all, he could have entered and produced a weapon, tied up the wife, and then helped himself...., but he didn't which means he probably didn't want to run the risk of encountering a a person with a loaded gun, and/or didn't want to be identified, as again... I think he's been in the house before.

LD

It certainly does leave you feeling "violated" and angry. What bothers me about the burglary is that Zonie's wife was right there at home when it occurred. This is a good justification for the "Castle" doctrine.

Well I hope it never happens to me! Wife always stays upstairs. 3 German shepards (who live inside most the day and all night) bark at even a bird landing outside. Intruder must 1st get inside, next bypass 240lbs of angry teeth and by then wife (and/or me) would have obtained amble protection from the top of the gun cabinet where I keep my "carry" ready to go.

Ya almost would rather catch em in the act and take care of it rather than have the authorities catch em, book & release, 2 years for a trial and a plea deal for "supervision" by underpaid probation officers.

We all need to assure our NRA free insurance is activated!

Too bad, :( Hope they find the guy, and if not, I hope he loads it up with smokeless powder and loses a hand over it.

Besides a number of firearms, I also keep gems, gold, and silver in my shop. I normally carry, sometimes I don't. On one of those occasions I didn't, I had an attempted push in (they knock on the door and when you answer it they(3) charge into you and the door. I was caught completely off guard and they probably would've succeeded except they didn't take into account the 90 pound German Shepherd. The lead guy who had pushed through and had his hand on my chest got bit in the ass as he was turning to flee. She was on them faster than I could ever draw a gun. :rotf: The cops just laughed as they only tracked the blood a couple blocks; they figured he got into a car. They never found those kids(teenagers), but it never happened again. I eventually moved though, due to the neighborhood going to hell(gang issues). I guess the whole point of the story is; BUY A DOG.

Sorry for your loss. Very glad you and yours are alright. Hopefully you will get something returned.

A good thought for low cost outside camera coverage might be a game spotter camera from Cabela's. They are cheap enough and you can move them around to get the best advantage. At the very least you might end up with some good photos of the crook. :hmm:

There's an Arizona Gun Radio gunshow this weekend.(www.azgunradio.com)

May be a good idea to take your list, notify the cops at the door you'll be looking for the stolen guns on your list. In case there's a fracas, they'll know you're the good guy.

April 5th, 6th 2014

El Zaribah Shriners
552 N. 40th Street
Phoenix AZ 85008

Thanks for the tip on the upcoming gun show.

I might go take a look around there.
If I do, I'll just be looking. If I find my pistols I'll just make some small talk and walk back to the front door.
There, I'll suggest the people running the show need to call the Police because one of their vendors is selling stolen property.
When the Police arrive, I'll give them my list and accompany them to the sellers table. :grin:

The seller may have a good story about buying them from the thief but I'll let the Police work out that issue. :grin:

Man what a bummer Zonie! I had two hand guns and my wedding ring stolen by a night thief some years back.
The police think I scared him off as I came in the front door.
Had my hunting pack and rifle laid out on our bed in the back of the house for a trip the next day and decided to see a movie for a few hours.
He had them ready to take as well but left them behind and jumped out the window when he heard me at the front door.
Must have been watching the house.
He grabbed the hand guns and jumped out the back bedroom window. They tracked him out the yard in the snow but once he got to the street and mixed in with the others on the bike patch it was hopeless.
I gave my serial numbers to the police but never saw any of the items again.
I promptly bought a big steel gun safe and now it is overflowing so have found some good hiding places for the extras.
I'm rather glad now I didn't come in armed and kill the bugger in my house. Probably just a dumb kid being stupid and I hate the thought of taking a life for stealing my guns.
Hope you can retrieve them. I'm thinking you stand a far better chance with black powder guns than with modern as they stand out more and are less sale-able to the average shooter. Mike D.

btech said:
I hear people talk all the time about facing down an intruder with a gun. Unless you're active, trained military I wouldn't recommend it. If you've never actually shot another person before face to face you will hesitate they will not.

I've been thru this with expensive fishing equipment and even my truck. Be grateful you're wife was not harmed. List each gun separately on your home owners insurance. If they're stolen, get the check from State Farm and enjoy buying new ones. If they're irreplaceable, keep them in a bank lock box.
When my truck was stolen I got an insurance check for $30,000. I had only paid $24,000 for it. Went out and bought a much nicer truck.
Man this is so true, however in my 15 years in the Army and counting I have seen a great many trained infantry soldiers lock up in a heated fire fight and completly shut down. Everyones a hero until they are thrown into a stressful situation. For some its standing your ground, others it hide and wait for it to be over, others will pull the weapon and sight down on the enemy but can't seem to find enough strength to overcome the trigger weight. I assist my buddy in training people for ccw permits and I always preach the logic of don't pull a gun unless you plan to use it right then and there, if ya pull it as a scare tactic you escalated the threat to the bad guy and he WILL use his/hers. Bottom line is every guy thinks he's Rambo until the real bullets fly, some are Rambo some are Pee-Wee Herman.

Hi I am sorry to hear of your loss. Glad your wife is ok. Thieves child molesters people who abuse other people should be turned into lobster bait. :2

I suggest a god hearing eauato for ou wife , I know adedicated reader ca bo out alo but tis sees extremen Hank

ord sgt I think I deciphered this.--I suggest a good hearing aid for your wife. I know a dedicated reader can block out a lot but this seems extreme.
Any more wild guesses anyone?

Back