• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stocking lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In order to conserve both lead and powder, I shoot my small bores the most by far. Still the bigger guys get out often enough to keep them healthy. The smoothbore is no problem since I shoot WW ball and don't shoot it very frequently compared to the others. My .45s are not too bad but the .32, .36 and .40 are really economical. A 46grn to 66grn ball and 20grns of powder goes a long way.

Let's see: you folks are assuming that someone will not make lead projectiles against the law in a year or two. How much Bismouth do you need?

Well, California already has banned lead for hunting, (will take effect in 5 years). I don't expect Alabama or any other state to ban it at all, even if they do I'll tell them to go jump off a tall building plus some other stuff I can't say here, and keep using pure lead.

We used to get our radioisotopes packed in lead shielding containers. At that time, the lead was not worth sending back to the supplier so the containers just piled up in our cabinets. I got permission to liberate them and took home around an estimated 500 lb. over a month's time. That was around 30 years ago. I still have about 200 lb. left. At 73 years of age, I don't think I will run out before I start shooting on the "Big Range".

I use a rimfire bullet trap for my airguns and am able to save the lead. I figure at an average of 14.3 grains per .22 pellet I will be able to start casting balls for my muzzle loaders in about 120 years. :grin:

Fair enough, PP. Me, I get a lot of enjoyment (and satisfaction) from scrounging lead, smelting it down and casting balls from it (I've always liked doing things myself). Besides being a lot cheaper than than buying them!

Just this week a guy on our local gunboard posted a warning about lead prices increasing in 2014. He is a metalurgist & owns a scrap metal business.

According to business news reports he monitors, industry lead users suggests a 100% increase by 12/14. Industrial users suggest price increase due to shortages of the metal rather than governmental restrictions on its use.

Hey there 2571, I just found a place that has some lead for sale, if you or anybody else would like to know more email me and i will give you particulars. I hope this is not braking any rules [email protected]

has anyone tried to salvage the lead from an old sailboat. Sometimes there free on craigslist and can have well over 1000 pounds of lead in the keel

I would like to find a old sailboat and get the keel. But so far its been hitting the tire shops for the stick-on wheel weights which I might be doing this Sat.

bigmike said:
How much lead would an adequate stockpile be in pounds,that would last a lifetime of nominal use?
Seriously?

Do your math. Take how much lead YOU use in a year, multiply that times how many years YOU expect to live. :slap:

Back