• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKirk

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Lyman Great Plains I just purchased that has a small crack extending from the forward wedge escutcheon (far side, left) forward to the nose cap area. Probably 4-5 inches in length. The wedges are too tight and will not seat flush, so obviously that needs to be addressed first and foremost, but once I have the wedges fitting properly, I will need to glue the stock in the cracked area. I was thinking of using Titebond, as it holds like a demon once dried, and cleans up excess glue with water when wet. Any suggestions, or better adhesives and/or ideas?

20201208_224355.jpg
20201208_222630_Burst01.jpg
20201208_224345.jpg

Looks like you can probably drill and pin with dowel or use small screws to pull it together when gluing.

I had a similar crack in a stock once and did the drill & pin with dowel before gluing and clamping.

OR you can glue first and add pins after it is dry. You have a couple options here !

Last edited:
You would be surprised how tight you can pull a crack together by wrapping string around the area.

Works for me, this was not only cracked but splintered when a pin took the wrong route out. TB3 was used
View attachment 53738

View attachment 53739

View attachment 53740
Plastic electrical tape will evenly squeeze the crack together even tighter than string in my experience. Use it as my go to clamping method when glass bedding guns when don’t discuss here.

Doesn’t anyone ever use hot hide glue for repairs?
Yes I've used it in the past. though not specifically for repairs. It's a royal PITA to mix up and apply and the holding power isn't as good as more modern alternatives. On the plus side, it DOES seem to take stains well. Unless your mantra is all about using historically accurate materials and with historical materials, I'd look elsewhere unless the unique stain taking ability is prescient to your needs.

Back