• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock/Patchbox sanding question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all...anyone have a good trick for avoiding the problem of brass dust discoloring the surrounding wood while finish sanding the patchbox? I don't want to remove the patchbox to sand, as the the inlet edges will get rounded or dinged up on both the brass and the wood. but when I use 400 to 600 grit on the wood or the brass while the patchbox is in place, I end up with dirty grey wood around the brass. Any suggestions?
Thanks
ELee

Use a sanding block to avoid rounding the edges when you take it out to finish. Also you can do the same to clean up around the inlet. Just take your time and be careful and you will have no problem, or at least keep it to a minimum.

I have always draw filed the patch box even with the wood stock then sanded it using an oak sanding block I made because a hard rubber sanding block will still round the edges.

Now for a lecture! OH BOY! I have made several patch boxes from scratch and it takes me about two weeks of evenings and weekends to finish one...keep in mind it takes awile to get good results...but you will be happier with them, and every time you look at the rifle from then on. Just go slow and take your time if you get in a hurry stop and come back to it the next day.

:front:

You guys did not answer his question, and I can't either because I don't know and would like to, also.

The only solution I've found is to resand the wood very lightly with fresh (unused) 220 or finer paper. Because I'm only removing a tiny bit of wood, I remove the patchbox to keep from scratching it.
I only remove enough wood to get the smudge off. In other words, dam little. Because this is done gently and with great care, there has not been a problem with rounding off the edge of the wood into the cavity left by removing the patchbox.

Because I usually put on a number of coats of finish, it seems to build up the surface so it's a little proud of the metal.
Very light sanding with 600 wt paper brings the finish back down flush with the metal.

This does take time, as many things seem to do when your building a gun.

You guys did not answer his question, and I can't either because I don't know and would like to, also.

Well if you do it may way you won't have any problems with with the wood discoloring.

"I have always draw filed the patch box even with the wood stock then sanded it using an oak sanding block I made because a hard rubber sanding block will still round the edges."

:m2c:

Back