• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock on Lyman Trade Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barghest

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a few questions concerning the stock on this particular rifle. 1.) is the stock that of a half stock? 2.) what is the history of the shape of this stock and 3.) which is a weird question, but does the stock interfer with how you shoulder it?

I am relatively new to this sport and had my eye on a deerstalker, but I'm sort of leaning more towards the trade in .54. My fiancee has an old flintlock that her father made but her stock is that of a straight full one, not cresent so shouldering this trade rifle to get a feel for it, isn't an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1.) is the stock that of a half stock?

It is a half-stock design, but it doesn't exactly replicate the style of the historical Hawken Rifles.

2.) what is the history of the shape of this stock

The history of this particular style is non-existent although it is roughly similar to the Traditional Hawkens.

3.) which is a weird question, but does the stock interfer with how you shoulder it?

Mine shoulders just fine. The GPR takes a little bit of wiggling for me to place it comfortably though; so I don't think it'll see too much deer hunting action.

I recently purchased the Lyman Trade Rifle and find that it shoulders well and has a nice balance/feel to it. The crescent shaped butt does not interfere in shouldering the rifle.

mike

I sure like the way my Trade Rifle shoulders... Also the way it shoots is a pure pleasure.

Mine shoulders and shoots just fine, and I like the looks of the rifle too....

Thank you for the quick replies. Sounds like I made a good selection in a front loader. A buddy of mine has the GPR but he changed the stock to a full straight one (custom made) and stated that the original stock cut into this shoulder a bit too much for his likes.

I had checked out the site http://www.thehawkenshop.com/ and they list some original versions that do show the half stocks (or that is what it appears to be). From what I see the trade rifle comes just close to what is portrayed on that site, but then again I am just a newbie who don't know diddly squat LOL

Good luck and HAVE FUN with yer new gun! Thats the most important thing anyhow...

Thank you for the quick replies. Sounds like I made a good selection in a front loader

You made an excellent decision. It's a great rifle. In my opinion it doesn't have to be historically perfect to be fun to shoot. I like my flinter a lot and am very happy with it.

Back