• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Steel Tubing, Aluminum Tubing, Black Locust, A .45 Barrel Stub, Golf Balls and Gun Powder.........What Could Possibly Go Wrong.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

64Springer

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Laminated golf ball cannon barrel coming together.

.300 wall thickness. .335 if I use a .035 aluminum sleeve for a tighter bore. Any concerns with using aluminum in conjunction with gun powder? May just go with steel and a thin t-shirt patch so there isn't any resistance.

.45 barrel stub drilled and tapped for 1/2-20 set screw. Allows for 50 grains of 3F T-7.

Attachments

• IMG_3801.JPG
    IMG_3801.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3804.JPG
    IMG_3804.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3808.JPG
    IMG_3808.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3810.JPG
    IMG_3810.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3811.JPG
    IMG_3811.JPG
  • IMG_3812.JPG
    IMG_3812.JPG
But wait. There's more.

Still need to cross pin the breech plug and drill for the cannon fuse.

Gave her a stepped breech area so she looks more cannonish. Should look good painted matte black or olive drab if I go the military mortarish route.

Amazon now sells and delivers ammo. Just arrived. Fiddy to a box.

Attachments

• IMG_3860.JPG
    IMG_3860.JPG
    772.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
^^^I like that.^^^

Trying to figure out a creative looking carriage for mine.

I'm thinking the left-over aluminum tubing could be used as a socket for the breech.

Then I could remove the barrel for loading and cleaning.

A barrel is like a chain and as strong as it's weakest link. Many cast cannons are sleeved in the name of safety. The end result often is a cast barrel that no longer has the wall thickness it once had and a sleeve that also doesn't have the thickness. I think you will find out there is no need for a tight fit as a golf ball is difficult enough to track with a fit so loose it can be dropped in.

A barrel is like a chain and as strong as it's weakest link. Many cast cannons are sleeved in the name of safety. The end result often is a cast barrel that no longer has the wall thickness it once had and a sleeve that also doesn't have the thickness. I think you will find out there is no need for a tight fit as a golf ball is difficult enough to track with a fit so loose it can be dropped in.
So that ball will launch OK with a .080 difference between ball and bore?

Last edited:
I just don't see the appeal of making your own barrel when you have no idea how to do it right. Or making one out of a pipe. I suppose it all comes down to being too cheap to get a barrel from someone that actually knows how to make one. You are talking about using aluminum and who knows what that got deleted. I don't get it. But I will do what I can to help anyway. Here is link to a website that will likely be of use to you.

https://mcopro.com/blog/resources/arm-hand-prosthetics/

Some of the manufacturing procedure, especially that which detailed using other than metal to contain a deflagration event have been removed, due to liability.

LD
With respect, there is no danger of that breech letting loose. If I had thought that, I wouldn't have built it.

What I built is no different than inletting a steel tang and breech into a wooden stock just ahead of the wrist. Exact same concept. My piece is sturdier because it's completely encapsulated.

My build went even further and pinned into place the "Material" in question. Again, no chance of that breech moving rearward.

Folks who really took a good long look at it would understand what I'm saying. No danger. None.

Instead, folks saying he used the "Material" in question should understand that logs and iron hoops have been used to make cannon barrels many moons ago. Successfully.

This forum watched a guy shove so much black powder into an 8 or 4 bore shotgun that the wooden stock literally exploded. Pictures were posted. It could have killed or severely harmed the builder.

But that thread was not taken down for liability reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back