• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Christmas Present

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

Drove up near Michigan to take possession of a muzzleloader. The gent and I arranged payments prior to this, to be paid off after I began work.

When I got up there, we just met in an Arby's parking lot.

He handed me the rifle and said, "We're even. Merry Christmas!"

That man is so cool... and no, not just because of the rifle. Very nice gentleman. Not mentioning names because I don't want to embarrass him.

Here's the rifle:

LongRifle.jpg

The long rifle

rearstock.jpg

I really like this wood. The whole rifle is done up like this.

buttstockandplate.jpg

The brass is dulled a bit, but not too much... just a really nice look.

muzzle.jpg

The muzzle...

You can see a bit of the rifling, and I put a magnified view in the inset. You can see how the tool was likely dull - it stuttered bit. If it doesn't smooth out with a bit of shooting, I'm going to do it manually - which is SOOO OKAY as I live to gunsmith.

topoffrontsight.jpg

The front sight is kinda' rough as I had to do some stuff to it. We'll get to that.

rearsight.jpg

The rear sight, also a bit rough.

lockandtrigger1.jpg

The lock, which I took apart and redid. The parts were all in top condition except for a bit of surface rust.

rearview.jpg

A final view I just felt like throwing in here.

When i got home, I immediately stripped the rifle. The lock came apart without too much hassle. The individual parts went to soak in Fluid Film on low heat.

I pulled the drum bolster as it was loose. Inspecting the barrel, I found a bit of rust, but not too much. Just a bit of surface rust and some hairy stuff - but not much of that at all.

Honestly, it looks like this was shot once or twice back in the '70s or '80s, cleaned, maybe left dry, and hung up.

The evidence of this:

The rifling does not show any wear at all.

The tumbler has a sear adjustment on it - and it was not adjusted.

The sights were loose. There is no way they would have stayed on through multiple firings.

The ramrod hardly shows any use. Just a bit of green corrosion.

It just didn't feel fired, if that makes sense.

Now, the sights: I'm not sure what was going on here. They just slid out. Aftermarket and too small, maybe? Or maybe they were metric sights and these were 3/8" dovetails - I don't know. I do know they were loose.

I tried stippling the bottom of the dovetail and front sight, and that didn't make much difference, so I tapped the edges down a bit. A bit tighter, but not by a lot. I finally just got out the soft silver solder (as opposed to the hard stuff I use on modern guns) and used it to hold the front sight in place. I'll still be able to drift it out when and if I replace the front sight, but it'll stay put until I do.

The rear sight I treated similarly, but I didn't use solder. I figure I'll get the windage out of this one, and when I get it sighted the way I want, I'll secure it then, probably mechanically - a pin, or drive part of the dovetail top into the sight. Or I'll just replace the sight!

I inspected the threads before I put the bolster back on. They were just fine. Looks like the reason it wasn't tight (I snugged it up, but not overly so) was that the hammer face does not strike squarely, but rather the edge strikes. The barrel needs to be moved back just a little, and I'm still studying on how I might do that.

Nipple replaced (the old one had been drilled out to more than .040, which is my limit), everything reassembled adjusted the trigger to how I like it (light), and when I was sure it wouldn't fly apart on me, I went to test it.

I put 45gns of FFg down the tube and packed a couple jumbo cotton balls down it - plenty of resistance - it felt as if I were loading a patched ball. I fired it out the door, and as it was dark out, I got a spectacular show.

I then upped it to 70gns, same cotton ball resistance, and a "BOOM!" filled the woods. I also felt a bit of recoil through my heavy jacket :D

The one downside (not really a downside, but something to remedy) is that it's a .45, which would be, to my mind, more correct for a long rifle than would be a .50, but I don't cast for .50 and couldn't find a source for balls last night.

Got to thinking that I might force a cast 230gn .45acp bullet down the barrel, but I really didn't want to fight with the fact that they're hard, and that they would lead the barrel, so I'm waiting.

Since I'm broke, I'll have to trade for a .440" RB mould. I have a Lee .452" 230gn LRN mould I don't use any longer, having gone solely to truncated cone flat nose for my ACP, so I might trade that.

The barrel is 33" long and I got between 1/3 and 1/2 turn on the cleaning rod - I had marked it - so I'm looking at a 1:66" to 1:70" turn, so I doubt it would stabilize a conical, unless maybe I use a Minie ball.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Christmas present. It's an awesome rifle. As soon as I figure out exactly how I'm going to do the sights, I'll clean that part up and let it patina over again, or maybe start it that way with some plum brown in the areas I have to mess with.

You know, I might turn this ol' Kentucky Long Rifle into a long range gun if it proves to be accurate. I think it would look good with a period 'scope. Not sure how much the caliber would hurt it, but I'd think a Minie ball would stabilize to a few hundred yards. It would be a fun project and, since I wouldn't use mounts that didn't fit in the existing dovetails, it would stay original and I could bring it back to stock any time.

Tomorrow I get to go trade for a T/C New Englander, and then I'll be buying a slow twist Hawken replica when I start working again. My collection will start being complete at that point... for now, anyway.

Josh

It looks like a 1970's era CVA Kentucky. If it has a 1/66 barrel it is probably a jugar barrel. They were good shooting guns for the money.I assembled from kits over twenty for the Amish boys in our area. They were good guns for the money for deer hunting. :hmm:

I wouldn't worry about the chatter marks in the rifling unless it won't shoot well, but I am betting it will. I have an old CVA mountain rifle that is much rougher than that, so rough my rod chatters when pushing the ball down the barrel. It is a tack driver, and no harder to clean than my other guns.
Nice looking wood BTW.

Sincere congrats!

If you want to tighten up those sights, try this. Pull them out of the dovetail slots and use a center punch to put a few "craters" with raised rims on the bottom of the sight's dovetail (again, on the sight base and not the slot in the barrel). That should close the gap in a few spots and give the sights enough friction to stay in place in the dovetail slot. Easy and quick.

I've got one gun I fixed "temporarily" that way about 10 years ago, and the sights are still tight.

Josh - congrats on the rifle. Those old CVAs shoot a lot better than many folks think they should. Rifle looks in great shape. G

That's a fine looking rifle Josh, I think it will serve you well. Please don't go forcing center fire bullets down it though, 45 caliber RB's are easy enough to find, and since you probably have a slow twist barrel don't worry about finding a conical for it, just learn to put the RB were it counts. I would suggest that your starting load would be no more than 50 grains of 3f, and work up from there. If that barrel is pinned then you'll need to learn how to pour water down it without making a mess when cleaning, so do it outside the first few times. Good luck and let us know how she shoots.

Sounds like a nice gesture from a good man, but gee whiz Josh, I would think you could show a little more enthusiasm about it. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Bill

Great rifle! It looks like a kit rifle someone built. I put one of these in flint together a few months ago for a friend of mine. It is a great shooter.

I built one for my wife back in the early eighties. The barrel had some chatter marks but the rifle shot great. She won a lot of stuff with that rifle.

For future reference, I fix loose sights by putting a blob of solder or epoxy on the bottom of the sight. I then use a file on the blob to bring it down to the point where the sight fits snugly in the dovetail slot.

You can also use brass shims under the sights to tighten them...figure out the thickness you need and drive the shim in with the sight...works great

Thanks Dexter, Everyone,

I've always seen shimming sights as a cheap rigging job.

My gunsmithing background says "stipple", and if that doesn't work, "solder".

I'd get crucified on most gunsmithing forums for "merely" shimming!

But if it's acceptable in the muzzleloading world, I will be more than happy to do it. It is just much easier.

Thanks,

Josh

i bought the same rifle, in kit form, back in 1976. other than a heavy trigger pull, no problems or complaints. my cva has punched paper and dropped bambi with a PRB and 50 grains of 3f. with a little TLC, you can pass that rifle down someday. i wish you the same fun and success with yours.

Latest posts

Back