• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Steel Tubing, Aluminum Tubing, Black Locust, A .45 Barrel Stub, Golf Balls and Gun Powder.........What Could Possibly Go Wrong.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt about the Nanny State. It's been a long time since I had an FFL but I would be concerned about the BATFE rulings since 9-11-2001. When I used to get rulings any barrel with a bore over 1/2 inch excluding certain smooth bore shotguns and antiques could be considered a destructive device. A friend of mine spent quite a stretch in Federal prison having several in his possession. The arm in the picture above could very well qualify.

No doubt about the Nanny State. It's been a long time since I had an FFL but I would be concerned about the BATFE rulings since 9-11-2001. When I used to get rulings any barrel with a bore over 1/2 inch excluding certain smooth bore shotguns and antiques could be considered a destructive device. A friend of mine spent quite a stretch in Federal prison having several in his possession. The arm in the picture above could very well qualify.
Thankfully black powder cannons are 100% good to go.

For now.

If the .69 caliber naval cannons were available from Traditions, I wouldn't have to build one that launches golf balls.

Not might launch golf balls. Will launch golf balls.

Last edited:
Hey if Kirk got away with it.....why not

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 0
Mythbusters built a cannon out of duct tape. Of course they got into trouble when their firing a genuine black powder cannon for "base line results" sent the ball through someone's house quite a ways away.

With respect, there is no danger of that breech letting loose. If I had thought that, I wouldn't have built it.

The "Material" in question is a carrier/support system for a steel powder chamber. Nothing more. Nothing less. The steel powder chamber has a wall thickness of .250 inches. Much more than the wall thickness of a Traditions barrel. Which is .1875 inches.

What I built is no different than inletting a steel tang and breech into a wooden stock just ahead of the wrist. Exact same concept. My piece is sturdier because it's completely encapsulated.

My build went even further and pinned into place the "Material" in question. Again, no chance of that breech moving rearward.

Folks who really took a good long look at it would understand what I'm saying. No danger. None.

Instead, folks saying he used the "Material" in question should understand that logs and iron hoops have been used to make cannon barrels many moons ago. Successfully.

This forum watched a guy shove so much black powder into an 8 or 4 bore shotgun that the wooden stock literally exploded. Pictures were posted. It could have killed or severely harmed the builder.

But that thread was not taken down for liability reasons.

Briefly before I say goodbye to you... Did you EVER warn folks that if they didn't have the knowledge that you have in making such a device, that they should not attempt it?

Did you EVER mention in any of the posts that the wood type was critical, or perhaps the next guy should be sure and not use pine, fur, or ash?

Did you even think about posting a disclaimer, "This is being done by an expert, and is for entertainment and information purposes; don't try this at home"?

Did you ever consider that if some uninformed person duplicates what you posted without following it to the letter, and are hurt, that this place could be shut down?

"
Folks who really took a good long look at it would understand what I'm saying."

And with respect... YOU don't know how liability works, if that's what you think.

LD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back