• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting over with the Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTShooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After reading lots of posts, it was time to try out some stuff.

I tried out .010 vs .015 patches with the new lubing technique and wiping between shoots. .015 seemed better and the guy next to me asked how it shot at 50 yards. So I tried it

image_zpstpy8swks.jpg

It was pouring today, going to try again tomorrow.

That's some pretty dog gone good shooting right there, but if you're like me, next you'll be attempting to put all 5 of those balls into one ragged hole at 50, but I squirrel hunt only with my rifles. My reason for the obsession with 5 shot one holers at 50 yds.
BTW, if you haven't tried it yet you may want to try a .495 ball w/thinner patch. That might just possibly put you in the one holer class. You'll never know unless you try it. I have two .50's one likes .490 and a thicker patch, the other, .495 and a thinner one. Neither one will shoot the other size it doesn't prefer worth a hoot in hell.

Good group. But verticle stringing might mean a heavier charge is in order. But, you said lousy weather. Wait for nice day then try again. And, personally, I'm not crazy about yer choice of patch lube.

Already had a bunch of patches ready, so they got used.

I have some "marinating?" In olive oil since it seems to be near the top of the popular list.

Once I finish boiling down the last of the sap, I'll go back and try the new patches and charges up to 80 in 5 gr increments.

I'm here to learn so feel free to educate me.

Thank you

That very good shooting.I would try that load again, with your olive oil patch. Looks like your getting there!

Ok, bore butter is gone.

Being the only one around I know that shoots muzzleloaders, I have just sort of faked it without really having a plan.

Thanks for all the information

Tried the olive oil patches today.

Bad bad bad, 60-65-70 gr nothing even close to a group.

Another test tomorrow

If yer not gonna get the Dutch System then try Hoppes Muzzle loader patch lubricant and solvent (not the reg Hoppes). You should really like it. I used it for the last 12-15 years before I got the system.

Two things that have helped me and might help you are;
1. patches need to be evenly lubed.
2. patches should not be over lubricated...
3. I never put oil or grease on the ball side of the patch.
4. I never lube patches in advance.

:haha: guess that's 4 things....

Your using way too much lube.
A good patch/ball combo should require some effort to seat,, not just slide right down.
Olive oil; dip your index finger in a little Olive oil, The oil should not drip from your finger, rub your finger against your thumb,, now use your thumb and index finger to spread a little on one patch,, that's all that's needed.
If you can imagine one drop of oil spread evenly across one patch,,
You don't want to saturate the fabric, or even put one drop on a patch (it won't spread) you just need a little "lube" on the outside of the fabric.
Or you could soak patches,, then stack 10-12 together, put them in a vice and squeeze them as tight as you can driving out the excess oil.
Point is you need very little lube on the fabric.

With that T/C,, you can throw away the .010 patches, the .015 might work but look for .018-.020

When I lube my patches, I just use a little and then with my thumbs, work it in HARD until I can feel the roughness of the patch. The final patch looks like its been lightly sprayed with an oil.

img_5611.jpg

img_5613.jpg

Have you gone through the rifle by checking the make sure the tang screws are TIGHT? Sometimes these things loosen up after only a few shots and accuracy can go to hell and beyond.

Wedge key nice and snug?

I am not a fan of olive oil or beeswax, they made more of a mess inside the bore than they were worth when I used it.

With it being a TC Hawken, those things are generally tight bored.

I'd suggest starting off with 70gr 2fg goex (assuming that's what you are using" a .015" patch and after each shot, swab the bore clean between each shot with windex. Dry the bore and on the FINAL dry patch, leave the ramrod/cleaning patch in the bore, cap the rifle and fire it. Pull the ramrod out about an inch off the face of the breech plug and fire one more.

May consider making sure your rear sight is tight as well.

Little things like screw tightness and swabbing will make a very big difference.

I've gone as far as bedding my tang, trigger plate and fore stock of my rifles and now they are ROCK solid.

Has anybody ever used PAM to lube their patches?

Can I lay out about 200 patches on a table and just make a couple of quick sprays over them and be done.

I have not tried it, has anybody here done it?

Get the dutch system and follow it. Its fool proof, kinda sorta similar and it works. Also your wife wont keel you for wasting her pam.

If you must try it they do make olive oil spray too :hmm:

Get the system :wink:

They've tried everything,, everything.
Look at it this way, have you seen or read of PAM being a recommended patch lube here or elsewhere?
If something is a good patch lube,, we here about it, try it, then share.
If PAM cooking spray was a good bet, we'd all already know.
We'd be talking about where to get the best buy on PAM by the case. Heck, PAM would have figured it out and have a special can marked "Patch Lube" sitting on the shelf of sporting goods stores.
These traditional muzzle loaders are 400yrs old, there is literally nothing "new" about the idea of shooting them and there's literally no "new" miracle patch lube that's going to turn up,, it's just going to be the same stuff with a different name on the jug.

Try it, what do ya got to loose?

I would think that PAM would work just about like using a light spray of Canola cooking oil.

After all, that's the main ingredient in it besides the LPG propellent.

On the other hand, you can buy a gallon of Canola cooking oil at Wallymart for about $6.00.

A 6 ounce can of PAM costs almost $3 and some of the weight is just LPG to make it spray.

Even if the 6 ounce can was pure Canola oil, at $3 for 6 ounces, a gallon of it would cost you $64.

Just something to think about. :grin:

Back