• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting load for a .72 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsb30

36 Cl.
Reaction score
What would be a starting load for a .715 patched roundball in a rifled barrel. I am looking at one but do have it yet. Anyone shoot one?

What type of gun is it?

What is the bore and twist?

Target shooting or hunting?

What would be a starting load for a .715 patched roundball in a rifled barrel. I am looking at one but do have it yet. Anyone shoot one?

I built a .75 cal flint rifle with a really light weight custom Getz barrel some years ago for a customer who wanted a gun for stake shoots. After finishing it I had to try it out. With .70 grains of fff and a .735 round ball it was a pussy cat. The owner killed a deer with it and just a bit more powder. The deer made a few bounds and went down. Tickled me when I heard about it. BJH

Very interesting, got some history and a picture or two.

Do a search for:

pedersoli 72 Kodiak loads

lots of info.

Dixie Gun Works lists the Pedersoli Gibbs African Hunter .72 in their catalog. The recommended load stated is 100 Grains ffg and a .715 round ball. Again, I’d start a bit lower and work up to find the right load for you and your rifle.

I have a .73 English sporting rifle built in the 1850's or so. I use 86 grains of 2 f Swiss. Only shot one deer with it, knocked it right off its legs.

Fleener

I have the Pedersoli Kodiak in the same caliber with 1-75" rifling. I started with the recommended load of 90grs. FFg, a .010" patch and whatever .715" roundball I have available. Have also used 100grs. of Swiss Fg.

There has been no need to try anything else.

Independently, each barrel can hold a 2"-3" group at 100yds.
However, when firing a 100 yard group using both barrels one strikes approximately 6" higher than the other. The width of said group remains at 2"-3".

There are two fold down rear sights, one is used for the left barrel the other for the right. I was at first afraid I wouldn't remember which trigger does what - turns out it wasn't that big of a deal. That only comes into play when shooting at longer distances anyway. At 50 yards and closer it doesn't matter which/barrel trigger I use.

The rifle weighs enough that recoil hasn't been an issue.

I use 70 GRS. as I am only punching holes in paper. and at 50 yards it reaches the target.

I, too, have had the Pedersoli Kodiak in .72. Starting with 70 or 80 grains is a fine idea. I worked up to 150 grains of FFg with the round ball and 120 with a conical, and of course the recoil was brisk, but manageable, due to the weight out front of those barrels. The Kodiak is a great deal of fun. I highly recommend one if you can find it.

Latest posts

Back