• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting a Kentucky Pistol Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAN

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm collecting parts to build my first flintlock pistol. I have built a several longrifles from precarve stocks over the years but not a pistol. I could not find an 8" barrel and had to settle for a 12" Green Mountain in 45cal. The stocks I could find were all 8" barrel channels so I'm trying to decide whether to cut 2" off and recrown or just put a short 2" under rib at the muzzle for ramrod support. Do any of you pistol guys think 12" would be too long or look odd as most Kentucky Pistols I have seen are flush with the stock at the muzzle? I have no problem with cutting and crowning.

Attachments

• IMG_E2412.JPG
    IMG_E2412.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 7
That looks like you could get a pecatonica stock to fit that. I just purchased a second stock for mine. First stock was my practice one. Not horrible but definitely can do better than this one im doing now. Stock was 115 for the roughed in barrel - the tang , rr,and lock.

That looks like you could get a pecatonica stock to fit that. I just purchased a second stock for mine. First stock was my practice one. Not horrible but definitely can do better than this one im doing now. Stock was 115 for the roughed in barrel - the tang , rr,and lock.
Just noticed my mistake in listing the Barrel Channel length on this stock as 8" it is actually 10" the same as Pecatonica stocks. I should have checked my numbers. The barrel is 12" exactly which is why I'm just going to cut around 2" off and recrown to extend just a bit past the nose cap. I think that would be best as I have only seen plains style pistols with 2" or more barrel extension past the nose cap not Kentucky style. I did see one that appeared to be a Ky that was made as a half stock though. Every precarve stock I could find was 10" max channel and everyone seems to be out of 10" barrels. Thanks guys for the replies.

Last edited:
Well, the new stock is a bit shorter than the first one that i purchased. Its only 10.5 inch barrel slotted. I measured the chunk i cut off the first one it's 2".

Thanks Soupbone, I think stocks and barrels vary from the descriptions. The barrel I got said it was 11" but when received it was a full 12" long. I could turn this into a half stock flintlock like this picture I took at a museum, but I think it might be too muzzle heavy at 12". I guess I'll stick with the cut and crown.

Attachments

• IMG_2409.JPG
    IMG_2409.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Gotcha, just finished up my frontier pistol today. She has some flaws. But the precarved stock set the placement. It worked out but bought the second stock to put these parts on. But decided against it. Just buy new parts and build another with the new stock. It was good practice. And helps me decompress too.
Will be watching your build.
20221018_123025.jpg
20221018_123003.jpg

Nice job. Mine should be a very similar style. I'll post some pictures later as I'm still waiting for a few parts and getting a Siler flint lock kit put together and heat treated.

Back