• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrels with a .50?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WH .50

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have seen reference to some folks using larger cal. ML's (.45,.50,&.54) on squirrels with reduced loads. I have a 7 yr. old son who loves squirrel hunting and he hunts with a .410 shotgun. When we hunt he always likes for us both to do some shootin' instead of just him so I was thinking the other day about using my .50 flinter to try to put some "sport" back in the hunt rather than me shooting a modern weapon.I also see this as an ideal time to get that much better acquainted with my flinter,and it would be nice to put somethin' on the table with the ol' girl besides venison.(You can't shoot it too much :grin:) What I would like to know is how effective is the .50 with reduced loads at not destroying the squirrel and not leaving you with no supper? Head shots only? I know a smaller cal. would be ideal but another rifle is just not in the budget right now. Also does anyone know how much powder it takes to fill the patent breech on a T/C Hawken barrel?I would want to use enough powder to fill the patent breech so the ball can be properly seated on top of the powder.I think Iread somewhere that the breech holds 25 grains but I can't remember for sure. What do ya'll think? Any info. and comments are greatly appreciated.

WH.50 said:
I have seen reference to some folks using larger cal. ML's (.45,.50,&.54) on squirrels with reduced loads. I have a 7 yr. old son who loves squirrel hunting and he hunts with a .410 shotgun. When we hunt he always likes for us both to do some shootin' instead of just him so I was thinking the other day about using my .50 flinter to try to put some "sport" back in the hunt rather than me shooting a modern weapon.I also see this as an ideal time to get that much better acquainted with my flinter,and it would be nice to put somethin' on the table with the ol' girl besides venison.(You can't shoot it too much :grin:) What I would like to know is how effective is the .50 with reduced loads at not destroying the squirrel and not leaving you with no supper? Head shots only? I know a smaller cal. would be ideal but another rifle is just not in the budget right now. Also does anyone know how much powder it takes to fill the patent breech on a T/C Hawken barrel?I would want to use enough powder to fill the patent breech so the ball can be properly seated on top of the powder.I think Iread somewhere that the breech holds 25 grains but I can't remember for sure. What do ya'll think? Any info. and comments are greatly appreciated.
Use your hunting load and shoot them in the head. Why mess with a load that works?
Your kid will be familiar with how the rifle shoots when it comes to deer season and no sight adjustments will be needed.

You make a good point Black Hand. Not having to adjust the sights would certainly be convenient. 80gr.FF and a .490 PRB,the squirrel load of champions!! I can see it now,"Did you git him son?" "I don't know Dad,he just disappeared!!" :rotf: Seriously though,even with 25 gr. the balls sure to take his head off anyway but I thought if I were to hit the front shoulders he may not be ruined with a reduced load. There's not alot of eatin' on the front shoulders anyway.

I did some practicing with my Renegade with 25gr of ffg and a prb. They just made a pop, and shot really well out to 25 yards. Not too far from the sights if I remember right. Never did have the opportunity to hunt small game with that load, but would. You can, but I wouldn't use my regular deer load for squirrels. I understand the logic, but think it would be a waste of powder, a ton of noise and pretty bad on the squirrels end also. Give a reduced load a try, I think you'll like it. I dont know exactly how much the breech on a T/C holds however. Good luck.

My experience has been most rifles will hit the same POI with the same sight picture using different loads. Its just a matter of finding the right loads. I've a .45 that hits 1" high with 68 grains of FFF and gives the same with .45 grains. The reduced load is certainly more economical to shoot and it will prove to be safer when shooting at the upward angles so often found in a squirrel woods.

Snow

Snow on the Roof said:
My experience has been most rifles will hit the same POI with the same sight picture using different loads.

That's been my experience, too. And huge savings result, a very good reason for doing it for small game and short range plinking.

As for using a 50 for squirrels... Heck yeah, if it's legal in your state. For snowshoe hare I use light loads in 50, 54, 58 and 62 cal (mostly around 30-35 grains of 3f), and even reduce the loads in my 30, 32 and 36 cals (between 10 and 20 grains of 3f). All have provided the same POI's as heavy loads to 25 yards and beyond.

And yup, head shots all the way. In my experience, even reduced loads ruin waaaaay too much eating meat with anything but head shots. If shots even drop down into the neck, the front shoulders are blood shot too bad to use. The RB's may be moving slow, but they're still "big" compared to a rimfire 22. Anything going the same velocity as a 22 and bigger, is going to do more damage.

This bruiser was taken down by my .50 Stroh rifle. It just happened to be the gun I was carrying when I saw the squirrel. I shot off the top of his head. 1 squirrel made a whole pie. :grin:
025.jpg

Better be glad you used a .50. A squirrel that big can be a real dangerous terror if he turns on you. :grin:

Got any more pics of that fine rifle?

WH.50 said:
"...does anyone know how much powder it takes to fill the patent breech on a T/C Hawken barrel?
I would want to use enough powder to fill the patent breech so the ball can be properly seated on top of the powder.I think Iread somewhere that the breech holds 25 grains but I can't remember for sure.
Approximately 20-22grns of Goex.

PS:
If you're thinking about a "bore obstruction" kind of a condition, even if the ball is sitting on top of the Patent Breech and it's only half full of powder, there's no problem as there's not enough powder to do any harm.
Remember, it's common place to use 10-15grns 4F in the Patent Breech when you've dry balled to bloop it out.

I've squirrel hunted using 30grns and just shoot a squirrel like it was a deer...the main amount of meat in on the back half of a squirrel anyway.

TCHawkenCaplockPatentBreechplugCrop.jpg

I don't know what state you hunt (live) in, but some states have a maximum caliber that can be used for small game. I live in Pa and the maximum for small game is .40cal. Check your regs to be on the safe side.

Vern

I learned to shoot and to reload my TC .50 fast while hunting squirels in VA. Still miss huntin em.I have two loads for RB. 35 g 2F for bushy tails (one hole 6 shots at 35 yd).90 g 2F for deer and everything else ( 2" at 100yd). no sight change. Your Son will like that. Happy hunting with your young man.

in WA i believe the max size is 45 cal for small critters. as said above check yer game laws. buth other then that i think a head shot is a head shot no matter what size the ball is.

-Matt

I know thats right I was bowhunting and had a squirrel jump on my head must have thought I was a big fat stump scared the manure outta me. The only thing worse is havin a pheasant fly right up into ya face and wing slap ya on its path to get away. Holy Ship I almost filled my drawers. These animals are starting to get on the offense, we all need to beware. Not to mention the deer running into my truck. We are all marked targets we must mount a counter attack now.. Every Man/Woman for themselves, besides its good training for the Zombies..

roundball said:
WH.50 said:
"...does anyone know how much powder it takes to fill the patent breech on a T/C Hawken barrel?
I would want to use enough powder to fill the patent breech so the ball can be properly seated on top of the powder.I think Iread somewhere that the breech holds 25 grains but I can't remember for sure.
Approximately 20-22grns of Goex.

PS:
If you're thinking about a "bore obstruction" kind of a condition, even if the ball is sitting on top of the Patent Breech and it's only half full of powder, there's no problem as there's not enough powder to do any harm.
Remember, it's common place to use 10-15grns 4F in the Patent Breech when you've dry balled to bloop it out.

I've squirrel hunted using 30grns and just shoot a squirrel like it was a deer...the main amount of meat in on the back half of a squirrel anyway.

TCHawkenCaplockPatentBreechplugCrop.jpg
Thanks for the info!!

Ancient One said:
I don't know what state you hunt (live) in, but some states have a maximum caliber that can be used for small game. I live in Pa and the maximum for small game is .40cal. Check your regs to be on the safe side.

Vern
Thanks for the advice! Here in Va. it's perfectly legal.

WH.50 said:
Ancient One said:

Vern

isnt it the caliber of the bullets the important ??? you can use a smaller bullets and more patch ,

target man

Target Man said:
WH.50 said:
Ancient One said:

Vern

isnt it the caliber of the bullets the important ??? you can use a smaller bullets and more patch ,

target man
Sure ya could use a BB in a sponge I guess :rotf:

Back