• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrels once more

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
First day of my Kentucky fall squirrel season this morning. a little delayed. It opened on Saturday, and I was planing to hunt then, but on Friday afternoon, with all my gear packed and me raring to go, I stepped on a nest of yellow jackets and got about 30 stings in as many seconds for my trouble. I don't recommend it. Finally felt near enough to normal this morning to give it a try, and it was a fun hunt. It was cool, and there was a pretty heavy fog all over the area. The woods were beautiful when I arrived at sunrise, heavy mist in the air, dew drops sparkling everywhere, wind calm and not a sound to be heard. I hunted into the sun, and the bright haze and a multitude of shafts of sunlight striking through the foliage were worth the trip. We are having another season of light mast, I think, and I had trouble finding squirrels, found no cuttings of any kind. I did see 4 squirrels, 2 gray, 2 fox, collected only one, a young gray. That was an interesting shot. I was skulking along a fence row with some small walnut trees when I saw, about 20 yards out, what looked like the head and shoulders of a squirrel in an opening, dead into the sun so that I was seeing a pure silhouette, only. I put the bead on him and watched, not at all sure it was even a squirrel. Everything was still for a long time. Then he twitched. Not a good idea.

I was carrying my 20 ga. smoothbore loaded with 70 gr. 2F, equal volume of #6, using tow for wadding. It was one of those days when everything stays wet all the time, and, after my shot, the pan turned to soup before I finished reloading.

Spence

You are the Man Spence :thumbsup: Tn opens Saturday morning I hope to find time to sneak in a hunt this week end.

Sounds like a good hunt you had Spence. Like your gun,bag and horn. Our season starts next month. Thanks for sharing, Dan.

Very Nice! and Thanks for taking us along!
Great photo.. :thumbsup:

Now stop playing with those hornets and dodge that black cloud following you around! :grin:

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

One thing I love about this site is squirrels and other small game are appreciated as much as the largest buck or stag! :applause:

Glad to see the hunting pics and stories starting up again after the summer doldrums!

Spence, thank you for the story and the picture. :thumbsup:

I really like those squirrel hunting stories.

Silex

Sounds like a grand adventure. Sorry to hear of you plight with the yellow jackets. Glad you recovered enough to get back out. Seriously do not like them things. Hit a nest with a bush hog a couple of years ago and could not get the tractor to move fast enough to get away. Seems like I hear accounts occasionally of people being stung several hundred times, fatal for those that have allergies to such things.

Got out over the weekend myself. Did notice an average mast yield in this area. No shortage of nuts. What I did see is the nuts aren’t ripening as they should by this time of year. Maybe because of the damper and not as hot summer that we have had, they just don’t seem to be as far along as usual. Found squirrel cutting in a few select hickory trees but not widespread. Saw a lot of chasing activity as they tried to protect their home territory trees from intruders. Other trees have nuts on them but the squirrels have not hit them yet. Same with beech, if they are ripe the squirrels are in them but some trees are full of nuts but no cutting. Also found them cutting the seed heads in tulip poplar. We have plenty of walnuts but they are not on them yet either. Also saw nuts on other trees that won’t mature for another month or two. Overall looks like it will be a good squirrel season.

Fabulous! I'm getting out this weekend for squirrels myself. I can't wait.

Good Story Great picture Spence..Last time I got into yellow jackets I was bush hogging and stirred up a nest. I was slapping at them and knocked my glasses off and ran over them. Back to the eye clinic with $400.00...Ha

We have about 5 more weeks before season opens here in Bama. Really looking forward to it.

Wayne/Al

Spence,
Nobody knows how to enjoy a day in the woods like you do.
Thanks for the photo and story.

Pat Cameron

Always enjoy the stories Spence. I myself endured a few stings this summer. Luckily I am not allergic to them. Still hurts like the devil.

Jeff

Back