• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel/small game gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendjoseph

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for a small game gun. Squirrel will be the main quarry. Which is better? .32 or .36?

The only small game I've ever hunted with a blackpowder rifle is squirrel and rabbits, and the only caliber I've ever owned or used has been 32. Never had a reason to want anything bigger but if I ever get another it'll be a 36 or 40 :idunno: Since I started wearing bifocals though I mostly hunt small game with a smoothbore and shot.

My everything gun is a .45, and my loads go from 23 grains FFFG (about 950 fps) to 80 grains FFFG ( about 2200 fps).
I've taken small game with both loads, however, at the upper end, you do not want to miss the head of a squirrel. There is nothing left, just pieces hanging from some branches and leaves stained red.
With the small 23 grains load , I do not need to be concerned at all. I've taken squirrels shot thru the center mass and lost no meat.
Never felt the need for a smaller gun, but hen again , that could change . There is not such thing as enough guns.

The o.p. is in Connecticut, his only legal options for small game with a black powder gun are round ball of between .32 and .36 caliber or a shotgun/fowling piece/smoothbore trade gun or smooth rifle with shot smaller than bb.

Sorry, I can't answer your question. I use my .50 loaded with 60 gr FFFg and 60 gr of #6 shot. It's perfect for the little varmints :D

I built this little 20ga. for spring gobblers, but use it for squirrels also. Put a 36" Colerain Turkey Choke barrel on it.

f2.jpg

Smoothbore4_zpsd80ba252.jpg

Now that's a gun that would suit me and my style of hunting just fine :thumbsup:. I like it lots.

Either will work fine. I have had a couple of .32s in the past. Now I use a .36. I like the .36 better. The balls are easier to handle and Hornady OOO Buckshot measures .350 and works great.

Back