• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodse guy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Who makes them what caliber would you guys suggest any information would be great. I don't know where to start. I would like to get a factory gun.

Most folks agree that the .32 caliber makes a good squirrel and rabbit caliber but IMO, one still has to use a powder load appropriate to the size of the game.

A large powder load (for a .32) like 60 grains of GOEX 3Fg will send that little .310 diameter ball downrange at over 2200 fps and at that velocity it will not only field dress a squirrel but it will darn near vaporize him if it hits him in the body.

About the only .32 cal rifle being marketed anymore is the Crockett.
Put Crockett into the search engine and you'll find dozens of posts about them.

.45 caliber rifles are getting to be pretty hard to find anymore but if they are loaded with light powder loads like 30 or 40 grains the velocity will be under 1300 fps and while the larger ball will damage some meat, at least it won't vaporize the critter.

A nice .62 caliber smoothbore shotgun loaded with #4 or #5 shot also makes a good squirrel gun but these can be pricy.

Zonie said:
A large powder load (for a .32) like 60 grains of GOEX 3Fg will send that little .310 diameter ball downrange at over 2200 fps and at that velocity it will not only field dress a squirrel but it will darn near vaporize him if it hits him in the body.

The first muzzleloading rifle, I hunted with, was .36 caliber. I was taught to use a head shot or "bark" the squirrel. That is, to shoot into whatever tree limb it was laying flat against. This would kill the squirrel via concussion. Barking, while effective, there was this one time, a bushy tail woke up in the "game pocket" of my first step father's new hunting jacket. That was a sight to see!

CP

Ha Ha it happened to my buddy as well. Thats why when a squirrel is barked now we snap its neck we either snap its neck or give him a swift strike against the tree to the head series. Just to make sure. But we dont usualy bark them on purpose usually it a near miss that we got lucky on. Who am I kiddin we are professional barkers that just cant hit the dang head.

With the current state of the economy this might be a bit costly but, I have a .32 caliber pedersoli cub rifle. As I understand they are still in production. Sometimes Dixie Gun Works will have them marked down. My rifle shoots well with 20 grains of FFFg goex and a pillow tick patched .310 ball. Can't comment on what this will do to game but it kills targets very well................watch yer top knot................

New your choices are limited pretty much either the Crocket or Cub in 32 cal or the Pedersoli Frontier in 32 or 36 caliber.
I just purchased a used 36 cal Pedersoli Frontier off Gunbroker for $485 shipped, Just sent the MO yesterday so I am still waiting for it to show up.
The discontinued Cabelas 36 cal Blueridge is the same as the Frontier. Another discontinued but popular rifle seemed to be the T/C Seneca in 36cal can still be found used but is expensive.

I can give a thumbs up on both the Crockett and the Cub. Though I've never owned a Cub in .32 I did own one in .50. These are rather high quality rifles though I don't care for their flint lock.

I do own a Crockett and it is a squirrel killin' machine. Accurate to a fault, light and handy and very reliable, it is a good buy but still more expensive than it should be. The Cub is much nicer but costs way too much unless you can find a new one or get one on special.

I owned one of these three year ago. It was more like a youth rifle in its dimensions and I could never find a comfortable hold. The result is I never got good groups. I found a .32 Mowrey, now there is a shooter.
HOSS

Ole' spoil sport here reporting for duty. :wink:
I wouldn't go with anything under .40 cal. Understand, I am pretty ram rod safety paranoid. Good ram rods are hard to find these days and skinny little ones from less than perfect wood can be very dangerous. Running a piece of split hickory through yer hand while alone in the woods could ruin yer whole huntin' trip. :shocked2: Unless, you are using a brass, stainless steel or synthetic rr, a tiny caliber is not a good idea.

Well Ole' spoil sport :wink: Thats avery good point. I would get a snthetic ramrod just to be safe. How much damage does a .40 cal do to a squirrel?

woodse guy said:
Well Ole' spoil sport :wink: Thats avery good point. I would get a snthetic ramrod just to be safe. How much damage does a .40 cal do to a squirrel?

No more than any other as a true squirrel hunter shoots them in the head...

You've gotten a good many excellent answers here, but no one has mentioned buying a .36 caliber rather than a .32 caliber.

From other threads, I've read a fair number of fellas who reported that the .32 caliber rifles were "touchy" and they were "bad-mouthing" that caliber.

Yet, I've never seen any "bad" comments on the .36 caliber rifles... and there's only a little "difference" in the two caliber's sizes.

The .36 caliber has been around for quite a while... and seems more popular than any smaller caliber and there must be a GOOD reason for it.

Traditions makes (or use to make) .36 caliber rifles in several different models in BOTH percussion cap and flint-lock firing mechanisms ... and possibly in both "Hawken-styles" and "long Rifle-styles" as well.

Unfortunately, I've also seen some "negative" comments on ANY Traditions-made rifles, but the Tradition's Shenandoah (a short "Long Rifle" with a 33½ inch barrel) flint-lock I've got always worked just fine and shot with fine accuracy... so I guess it depends on to whom you're talking.

No... it's not nearly as nice as a custom-made Long Rifle, but it's fairly good-looking and mine shoots pretty darned good (five "inter-locking" .50 caliber holes at 50 yards off the "bench") with 47 grains of Swiss FFFg and Rich Pierce flints as my "target load".

Would I prefer to have a custom-made rifle? Of course, my momma didn't have any really DUMB children, but I don't have the $$$$$$ to afford the quality of custom-made rifle I'd like to have ($2500-$5,000)... so I settled for something "less" and, after 4 years of using it, I'm "satisfied".

So you pays your "dinero" and you takes your chances... but that's "life", isn't it?

Good luck in your quest... and my advice is to buy the BEST rifle you can afford.

Make "GOOD" smoke... :thumbsup:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Ron T. said:
You've gotten a good many excellent answers here, but no one has mentioned buying a .36 caliber rather than a .32 caliber.

From other threads, I've read a fair number of fellas who reported that the .32 caliber rifles were "touchy" and they were "bad-mouthing" that caliber.

Yet, I've never seen any "bad" comments on the .36 caliber rifles... and there's only a little "difference" in the two caliber's sizes.

The .36 caliber has been around for quite a while... and seems more popular than any smaller caliber and there must be a GOOD reason for it.

Traditions makes (or use to make) .36 caliber rifles in several different models in BOTH percussion cap and flint-lock firing mechanisms ... and possibly in both "Hawken-styles" and "long Rifle-styles" as well.

Unfortunately, I've also seen some "negative" comments on ANY Traditions-made rifles, but the Tradition's Shenandoah (a short "Long Rifle" with a 33½ inch barrel) flint-lock I've got always worked just fine and shot with fine accuracy... so I guess it depends on to whom you're talking.

No... it's not nearly as nice as a custom-made Long Rifle, but it's fairly good-looking and mine shoots pretty darned good (five "inter-locking" .50 caliber holes at 50 yards off the "bench") with 47 grains of Swiss FFFg and Rich Pierce flints as my "target load".

Would I prefer to have a custom-made rifle? Of course, my momma didn't have any really DUMB children, but I don't have the $$$$$$ to afford the quality of custom-made rifle I'd like to have ($2500-$5,000)... so I settled for something "less" and, after 4 years of using it, I'm "satisfied".

So you pays your "dinero" and you takes your chances... but that's "life", isn't it?

Good luck in your quest... and my advice is to buy the BEST rifle you can afford.

Make "GOOD" smoke... :thumbsup:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Seems I posted this about 3 days ago.
New your choices are limited pretty much either the Crocket or Cub in 32 cal or the Pedersoli Frontier in 32 or 36 caliber.
I just purchased a used 36 cal Pedersoli Frontier off Gunbroker for $485 shipped, Just sent the MO yesterday so I am still waiting for it to show up.
The discontinued Cabelas 36 cal Blueridge is the same as the Frontier. Another discontinued but popular rifle seemed to be the T/C Seneca in 36cal can still be found used but is expensive.

I have carried a .32 Blue Ridge (flint) for a long time. A few years ago I got a .36 E/L from TVM and have put a lot of lead through it also. I really can not say that either one of them is any harder to clean than my .50cal. Both are a joy to carry and shoot and have murdered a lot of squirrels.

Vern

Back