• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squared v rounded stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahem....maybe the toeplate area is flat.....mostly rifles are like my mother-in-law, roundroundround :haha:

seriously :idunno: ...swamped forearms follow the barrel and the stock flows in curves and slopes...the sideplate and lock area are flat....???but hawken's rifles are different than kentucky's......I'm still in the learner's mode....to scared to take off wood, and to ashamed not to~ :surrender:

He's just giving you more credit because you have more post than me :wink:

Your the man Mitch :hatsoff:

This guy is quite a gun builder for those who don't know it already.

:eek:ff Doesn't suck not being able to put a face with a name. We met at Lewisburg....I was passing off my daughters stock and barrel off to Mark to have the barrel put in. We talked a bit that Friday evening....I know you talked to too many people.

Nice meeting you anyway. Will I see you at Dixon's?

Enjoy, J.D.

Never thought Id say it but I no longer have the patience for this young man. I wont pull this topic up anymore :shake: :youcrazy: :doh:

kaintuck said:
ahem....maybe the toeplate area is flat.....mostly rifles are like my mother-in-law, roundroundround :haha:

I agree with both those comments :rotf:

On some guns the wood under the stock from the toe of the butt to the wrist is a flat plane. Sometimes the horizontal plane under the cheek piece is flat. Lock surround and side panel too. These are the exception.

The guns lines flow from one plane to the next in an ever flowing natural state from butt ot muzzle....like other forms in nature....ORGANIC :wink:

Man that's deep. :hmm:

Enjoy, J.D.

"Agreed, or, better yet, work to get out of the two dimensional world of the book and computer monitor (especially the later) and try the three dimensional world of the real thing"

I only read a feew pages of this, and I feel that if Matty is serious which seems questionable, that the above statement pretty much sums it up, I do not think that anything but looking at real guns will show what he is looking at/for. the pictures are not doing it, and this is not uncommon when it comes to any type of architecture 2d is lacking severely in its presentation and can be hard to read if one has never seen the item in 3d.

You can read all you want and look at all the pictures you want but untill you actualy put a tool to metal or wood you aren't going to learn a G. D. thing!

One of the first things that you will learn is that this "hobby" is not cheap or eaisy.

I just spent $450.00 on a set of drill bits and a drill chuck! Yea thats right just drill bits and a chuck! And gun parts, $500.00 dont buy squat!

You won't (or can't) listen to the good advice that you get here so you will have to learn the hard way, and then may be you will remember some of the lessons that life throws at you.

Some of the best gun builders in the world are tring to help you and you just stick your tongue out at them.

If you don't want an honost answer to a question, stop asking!

SC45-70

J D Track me down at Dixons put a name to the face.I may forget the name but Im good with faces!!

Mitch

I have remained silent and maybe still should but..... Fellas it does not seem like your assistance is really needed. I believe it is either a situation that purposefully is just an aggravation OR is just looking for confirmation of his beliefs. You all have been way too patient and I commend you. I don't know why you continue to allow this young man to get under your skin. He does not want your expertise. I on the other hand enjoy learning techniques and philosphies of building. Less argument and more building would get the gun done. Let those chips fly!!

Isn't that the TRUTH....all of it!!! :hatsoff:

You do this for the love of it. At one point I figured if I learned to build guns I could own more. And there's something to that. But, if had all the money in parts and tools I've accumlated I could buy a bunch of fine guns.

It's not about that anymore It's a sickness. :doh:

.....and I hope they never cure me!!! :hatsoff:

Enjoy, J.D.

Not under my skin Bogie.

I'm kinda enjoying this....but then I'm not here for him. :grin:

Like you, I'm here to learn and share.

And I am glad I'm in such good company.

Enjoy, J.D.

i wasn't trying to get under anyone's skin. I just had a simple question that turned out to be more complex than I thought it was, and this whole thing should have ended after I thanked Zonie for answering it for me.
I didn't need the hot air festival and if I offended anyone, then they should just ignore me from now on.

END OF THREAD, PLEASE!

While your admiration of Zonie is admirable, you have some of the best builders in the country offering you adivise and it appears you are merely blowing them off.

I've seen and handled some of thier work and their advice is priceless.

When you have some time look at the real names in their profiles and google up their work.

They have shed allot of blood, sweat and tears in their pursuit of perfection and in their minds they will never achieve it.

Just sit back, relax and do your research and when you run into the tough questions they will be here for you....but you have to do your part. No slam intended, I'm right there with you....still learning.

And I won't ignore anybody....not in my nature. I listen to learn, good and bad, everybody has something to contribute.

Comments like hot air fest will win you no allies in your endeavor however.

Enjoy, J.D.

Really? Maybe :yakyak: or :barf: but :bull: ?

If you can support your opinion please elaborate. I can take it. :thumbsup:

J.D.

I agree that there are some great builders are on this forum, many have commented on this thread but the first 4 responses to the OP were derisive and many more simply said go figure it out for yourself.

I don't want to end up in anyone's "lead box" (is that possible in this forum ?) but it seems to me that Matty makes some of you guys moodier than my wife under a new moon.

If we can't post constructive comments why post anything at all ?

illuveatar said:
I don't want to end up in anyone's "lead box" (is that possible in this forum ?)

Yes. Happened to me the first day but considering who did it, it was easy.

but it seems to me that Matty makes some of you guys moodier than my wife under a new moon. If we can't post constructive comments why post anything at all ?

There's something to that, for sure. J.D.

Back