• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sprue orientation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As @Old-Duckman said. This forum is for learning and entertainment. Lots of knowledge here and some folks that don't know how to get their point across eloquently. I get my dander up too sometimes, but it's usually after I've had a couple of adult beverages! It's all good.
This place is certainly entertaining 🤔, less so later in the evening when some are deeper into their cups.

I have never been a fan of "rules" per se unless they had a proven value, like range rules for safety etc. I live in a HOA that has "rules, some of which make sense, and many that do not. yet, some on the HOA board etc love to enforce them. Like my neighbor who had 6 plants on his steps during the holidays, when the rules said 4. really? I'm sorry, I have zero time for that bull, just someone being in charge because they can be, enforcing a rule of no value. IMHO Censorship is always a problem in my opinion because it always starts with good intentions and then ends up being what the person in charge likes or dislikes. I'm 72 goin on 73 and have in the Service(USMC), been in Gvot DOD, and the Corp world, moved 10-12 times, worked in NYC, LA, Chicago, Phila , Phoenix etc...I learned to have a thick skin and roll with the punches and found that getting upset because someone voices a different opinion, or in a different manner really never did anything to change my life or alter my world. I listen, decide what makes sense, and move on. done. I do not need someone looking out for my "best interest", because sometimes hearing other perspectives is challenging and forces you to reasses your own beliefs. IMHO etc.

I was taught to have the spruce nub up or facing out too. The reasoning at the time was that the nub could affect accuracy more if it was down instead of up where you can see it and try to center it better. If the spruce nub is down then Any offset or being not centered perfectly could affect accuracy. Just having a smooth round bottom down against the powder charge would reduce any imbalances that could happen. Anyway it made sense at the time. But bullets with a nub are going to be at risk of being unbalanced and starting to wobble as soon as they leave the barrel.

"I do not need someone looking out for my "best interest", because sometimes hearing other perspectives is challenging and forces you to reasses your own beliefs." - Completely agree.

It is my understanding that this site is essentially a business. If the owners establish up-front the "manner" or "behavior" expected of members when members present their "perspective", then it is reasonable to expect members to comply to the best degree possible.

Back to the topic of this thread -
+1 for sprue up.

I wish someone could find the article from muzzle blasts but the Bevel Brothers did testing from a known accurate rifle from the bench and used several different sprue orientations, the result was it made no difference whatsoever.

That is my recollection of the article, I load sprue up and that is that.

Someone mentioned... What did the old timers do way back in the earlier days when using bag molds? I would also like to know. Did they load sprue up? Not worry about it?

I load cast ball with the sprue in front. When you can't see the sprue, if you load it on the bottom, there's no way of knowing if it is centered. I use a lot of Lee molds which leave no sprue and it's very difficult to see the flat spot where the sprue on other molds would be clearly visible.

Does anyone who loads round balls with a visible sprue orient it forward, backward or at all?
Does it affect the POI?
The general rule is to have the sprue facing forward. I saw a video where a shooter tested this concept. He loaded his rifle several times. Each time he had the sprue facing a different direction. His final conclusion? --- It didn't make much difference. His accuracy was about the same no matter where the sprue was pointing.

I use a rock tumbler from harbor freight to mill my powder and tumble my cast balls.
Any measurable reduction in ball diameter? Is your HF mill spinning at the factory speed? I've got one but sped it up for powder milling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back