• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spru possition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its been my experience that most of the bad outcomes in matches come from between my ears... 92 Miller Invitational after stage 7 I was in 16th place over all with all the big names , Barnhart, Mikluk, Rob Latham etc. after stage 8 I was in 135th.... I took the time to go through all the scores and figuer that out. One of the close and dirty stages I was 6th over all. but stage 8 I choked and zeroed the stage.. happens quick with a few dead hostages...

Consistent is an extremely fraught issue.

Quality of the ammunition is in play as well. What looks identical is not. One 5 shot group I have seen 1/4 inch and the same identical load and brass is 3/4.

Keep the 5 good cases, throw out the spread ones (or the worst of them) and then neck tensions etc etc etc.

One I have eliminated is velocity variation. With a Chrono I can tell if there has been wild one.

If it was easy anyone could do it and somehow the best get a system that works, most of the time.

After all these years of competing I still can't seem to nail down why I can drive tacks in some matches and go ho-hum in others. Can't blame it on old age as it's been a persistent occurrence over the last 50 years. I've looked at position posture , breath control, trigger control, diet, sleep, positive attitude ,concentration and even foot wear, still no consistent cause and effect I can isolate.
have you tried staying in a holiday express?

the vagaries of round ball shooting and the understanding these said vagaries, is on par with the understanding a womans moods.
one day she hands over 2k$ and says buy parts. next day it's "you have way too many of these things."
one day i can hit the 100 yard gong, next day i can't hit the 25. but have loads of fun either way.

have you tried staying in a holiday express?

the vagaries of round ball shooting and the understanding these said vagaries, is on par with the understanding a womans moods.
one day she hands over 2k$ and says buy parts. next day it's "you have way too many of these things."
one day i can hit the 100 yard gong, next day i can't hit the 25. but have loads of fun either way.
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I have noticed I have more fun when I score high ! 😄

Latest posts

Back