• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield or Enfield?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you purchase an enfield get ready to take punishment in the kisser. There is minimal drop in the stock and they will kick you in the teeth. I have a short Parker Hale and I know quite a few that sold it because of the straight stock.
Bruce

I haven't had any problems with my '58 P-H and I have been shooting it for 30 years. Depends on how you are built & what your shooting technique is.

Been shooting my P-H Enfield for a long time now and it has never kicked me anywhere. The fact is that when using the standard military load these rifles have minimal recoil. As was pointed out in an earlier post, it helps to have your right arm elevated to shoulder height when shooting these guns. It's not a bad idea when firing the various Springfields for that matter. Having solid cheek contact with the comb will minimize slap but that is stating the obvious.

I got to shoulder a Mississippi a couple weeks ago and it fit me pretty well. Nice gun, now I have a new "gun lust"... :shake:

Either would do ,however I am currently saving up for a James River Armoury rifled musket.I currently ow two rifled muskets,both Armi Sports,one a p53 and the other is an 1861 Springfield.I have had absolutely no luck at obtaining anything that even slightly resembles accurracy.I consider myself lucky to have an 18" spread at 50 yards.Shooting at 100 yards is just a waste of powder and lead.In fairness,I did reenact with them and I don't know if all those blanks could have damaged the bores.I have already attempted every possible combination in an attempt to make them shoot better,even going to a maxi ball(Lee R.E.A.L. bullet)all to no avail.A cheaper alternative maybe to get one of the Whitaker barrels,I hear very good things about Mr.Whitaker.I have heard others say they have had nothing but good luck with their Armi Sports.For what its worth ,consider James River Armoury.Best regards,J.A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Aubrey said:
Either would do ,however I am currently saving up for a James River Armoury rifled musket.I currently ow two rifled muskets,both Armi Sports,one a p53 and the other is an 1861 Springfield.I have had absolutely no luck at obtaining anything that even slightly resembles accurracy.I consider myself lucky to have an 18" spread at 50 yards.Shooting at 100 yards is just a waste of powder and lead.In fairness,I did reenact with them and I don't know if all those blanks could have damaged the bores.I have already attempted every possible combination in an attempt to make them shoot better,even going to a maxi ball(Lee R.E.A.L. bullet)all to no avail.A cheaper alternative maybe to get one of the Whitaker barrels,I hear very good things about Mr.Whitaker.I have heard others say they have had nothing but good luck with their Armi Sports.For what its worth ,consider James River Armoury.Best regards,J.A.

FYI: James River Armory uses Hoyt progressive depth rifled barrels, if that matters. I spoke with with them last week, the Civil War musket defarb operation has dropped off to less than a trickle, you'd better move fast before they drop that operation. They're switching over to Cowboy Action Shooting and W.W.II restorations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back