• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spiller and Burr

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any Spiller and Burr owners out there.
spillerandburr1862.jpg

I purchased this one from cabelas a couple years ago. I think it was $140.00
Only fired it once.

the frame looks thicker at the bottom front and stronger than other brass frame revolvers.It ought to be kind of neat.

nice looking blaster, if every Cofed rank Corporal and above had carried one of those the outcome may have been different!

I've have a Spiller & Burr for a couple of years now. It shoots just fine, but, like a lot of the C&B guns mine shoots high.
Although it is a brass framed gun, it seems to be a stronger frame design than the brass framed Colt's and because it is limited in the size of its load by the .36 cal chambers I doubt that problems would develop from shooting it with any load as long as round balls were used.

One of the interesting things, to me anyway, is the fact that Spiller & Burr ended up making a copy the .36 cal Whitney even though the Confederate requirement was for it to be "...substantially of the Colt's pattern,...".

(The Whitney was a steel framed gun of which modern Italian reproductions have been made)

Getting on with the story, in Richmond, Virginia it seems there was a "Robinson Revolver Factory" which was planning on making a copy of the Whitney pistol. Just prior to the war, Robinson offered to make a copy of the .36 cal Whitney for Virginia for $20 each. The Virginia Legislature approved this offer in April, 1861. Although the proposal was approved, there is no evidence that Robinson ever made a single pistol.
There is speculation supported by written evidence that Spiller & Burr bought Robinson's design and some equipment and moved it South to Atlanta, Georgia, and then to Macon, Georgia to make these pistols.

(This information was found in CONFEDERATE HANDGUNS CONCERNING THE GUNS THE MEN WHO MADE THEM AND THE TIMES OF THEIR USE by William A. Albaugh, III, Hugh Benet, Jr. and Edward N. Simmons. Copyright MCMLXIII by George Shumway.)

zonie :)

I have one for about 20 years, and have only shot it a few times, handles nice. Never could get it to rest in the safety notches. B. P.

Zonie reference the book stated, one of the authors - William Albaugh III - I may know this fella, do you have any idea of his age and location? or how I could find such info. if it's the same man I did some mechanic work for years ago, he mentioned he was interested in BP guns when he noticed I had some 'buckskinning' items around. don't mean to hi-jack the thread so PM if you wish, thanks Blizz.

crusing the web, I've found information that the confedeates wanted 15,000 of these. One early version didn't work out and they redesigned it to some extent. Eventually, the Confederate Government acquired the factory and managed to produce about 1500 revolvers. This was a big number among the various confederate revolvers.
It is a close variation of the Beals Patent and the Whitney Revolver. The only modern replica is made by Palmetto and reviews on the dixie site indicate that they seldom work. shooters are probably better off with the Pietta spiller and burr.

Airborne that shur is a pretty one!!!
mine is from the 70's and has 37 yrs of patina on the brass.... Is your marked as to caliber and manufacturer and italian proofmarks?
mine has NONE of these strampings.....
Mine shoots just great with around 18 gr FFF.
havent had any problems with it yet and it is going on 40 yrs. The .36's sure have a high pitched "crack" to them rather than the low sounding 'BOOM' of a .44.

On the left side of the barrel it say,
(Black Powder Only. 36 cal.)
On the right side it says,
(FLLIPIETTA-Made in Italy. PN)
Never knew any of the history behind it.
Thanks everyone for sharing with me.
I thought it sounded louder then my walker.
Thought it was my imagination.

Sorry, but I don't know the whereabouts of Mr. Albaugh.
As the book was published about 44 years ago, he might be considered one of the 'young'uns' on this site! :rotf:
zonie :)

Thanks for reply, I seriously doubt it is the same 'William Albaugh'. this fella is few years younger than me and i've lost contact w/him.

Back