• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SPG vs mink oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
I use TOW mink oil and Hoppes #9 BP lube exclusively for patch lube. From what I've read, SPG is very similar. Anyone compared the two for both loading and accuracy? Inquisitive minds want to know. :idunno:

My experience with SPG dates back almost 25 years when I started shooting steel critters with blackpowder in brass cases. SPG will melt if left in the sun, and would bleed oil if left in the lubrisizer. I found alternatives that I liked better and never looked back.

I suppose it might work OK for PRB. You already use mink oil, and that is my choice for hunting. At the range I generally use Lehigh Valley Lube, but had used #9 Plus years back when I had a local source.

I'm pretty sure both TOW mink oil and Hoppes #9 BP lube are fairly thin patch lube fluids.

The SPG I have is more like a hard grease.
It's made to be used in a lubri-sizer for lubing lead slugs and filling the grease grooves as the bullets are resized and readied for loading.

I can think of a lot of things I would use as a patch lube but SPG isn't one of them unless I was greasing a paper patched bullet right before I loaded it into my gun.

Like Zonie said,, SPG is/was made for cast bullet processing and lube.
Let's make it simple, if SPG was good for PRB,, then it would have been or would be common knowledge here and on every other traditional forum in existence today.
There would be multiple topics discussing how to "tweek" the SPG formula for the absolute "best" PRB lube for our use.,,,,
It ain't there,, SPG doesn't work well for a patch lubricant for round ball shooting
:idunno:

edit: now that I've said that,, some national champion will come on and say it's the best they have ever used

I think you will have a hard time finding something that will beat TOW mink oil. I dont know whats in it an dont care but I do know it works good in all my guns. It come the closest to my homemade bear grease concoction that I can find on the market an when I run low of beargrease i go back to the minkoil :thumbsup:

mink oil......

Anyone here ever made it. I'm starting trapping this year and will focus on mink mostly.

Seems like one or two of you go between various lubes in a gun. I've been doing shoultz's method with the same patch on all guns, but been tuning the ball size to make it work.

This will be my first hunting season with ballistol dry patches.

Thanks, all; my question was quite well answered. I've been using TOW mink oil for a good while and really like it. At the range I often use Hoppes but in the bush, it's always mink oil.

fools sulphur said:
mink oil......

Anyone here ever made it. I'm starting trapping this year and will focus on mink mostly.

Seems like one or two of you go between various lubes in a gun. I've been doing shoultz's method with the same patch on all guns, but been tuning the ball size to make it work.

This will be my first hunting season with ballistol dry patches.

instead of trappin' a bunch of smelly minks trap yerself one smelly 'possum & you'll have enough grease for the rest of yer life & some to share with friends. :v

SPG is awesome for black powdah cartridge 'Schuetzen' rifles, fixed ammo or breech-loaded, but it's mink oil for my mizzleloaders too, for me!

SPG is pricey compared to TOW's mink oil to boot ....

hanshi, the more I use it, the more I appreciate mutton tallow. I've used a lot of Track's mink oil too. Used some of it this evening with my fowler and roundballs.

Best regards, Skychief

I mostly use spit. have used olive oil it does good. mite try bacon drippings too.

I wouldn't recommend bacon drippings. There's too much salt used to cure, far more salt than what is in spit. Use lard instead if you want a more grease like texture for your lubricant.

Skychief said:
hanshi, the more I use it, the more I appreciate mutton tallow. I've used a lot of Track's mink oil too. Used some of it this evening with my fowler and roundballs.

Best regards, Skychief

:hmm: Around here I think we have more mink than we have sheep. :idunno:

I use TOTW Mink Oil 100% of the time and always have. I like to heat it up slowly to liquid form, get some on a rag, and rub a good coating on the outside of my rifle metal and wood both. Let it dry for a few days to a week and it developed a tacky type feeling but grease less finish that's very weather resistant. I also run a lubed patch of it down the barrel when storing. Many uses it serves for me

Latest posts

Back