• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

George's brownpaper wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargent

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Iam going to a walkin rondy in a couple of weeks and will be humping my Bess, Iplan to use it in the clay event using Spences brown paper wads and cups , maybe some balls of tow as well , so Iwill post the success or lack there of after the event , :) the greatest variable on the clays is me .

:rotf: I will use it in all the long arm matches,but the muzzleblast should bust the clays if I get onto them quick enough . :)

Have you worked up loads using brown paper or tow? I'd be interested to hear anything you figured out about them in an 11 gauge.

Spence

When I took my 16 to try out I had cut some cardboard [not very well] and some felt. I ran out of cards and tried folding some 2 inch squares of cotton cleaning patches. They worked very well. Of course I have no experience with shot.

No I am just going to wing it and see how it does, will most likely reduce the powder to 70-80 grns , normaly I would use a 20 gauge flinter but this is a walk in and it's still winter here so one longarm will do and some warm clothing :)

I found that a fair size clump of tow was needed in my 20 ga., enough to make a dense plug over powder at least 1/2" thick after being rammed. More can't hurt.

Spence

Yes I thought the same and have just finished rolling up some balls of tow to use . :) if this works I might try the same in my 20gauge at the end of August rondy ( a drive in event ) on the coast in sunny QLD. one of our best events .

Well we didn't end up shooting at clays but I did try some for patterns and they seemed to work ok ,but shot low ? :)

I had some bags of tow shipped down under last year, and have found it surprisingly good to clean bores with. You do need to have a worm to use it properly.

Back