• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A 'Shoe and a Blue with the Good Old .62

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I headed out late this afternoon with my .62 cal smoothbore Renegade. I had a spot in mind that I wanted to hunt but when I got there a vehicle was parked at that spot. Its archery season here so there are more people than usual in the woods. As much as I wanted to hunt there, I don't want to crowd anyone so I moved on.

I was passing an area that I've never hunted before but looked ideal for grouse and snowshoe hares. I decided to give it a try. Through trial and error (lots of error) over the years I've refined how I hunt snowshoe hares and cottontails. I've gone from taking them occasionally by dumb luck to having a decent rate of success.

Once I started hunting it didn't take long to jump a snowshoe hare. It blew out and didn't give me a chance for a shot. About 10 minutes later I was able to take one. When using muzzleloaders (usually a .54 or .58) for showshoe hares, cottontails and grouse I've always used a patched round ball. This is the first snowshoe I've taken using shot and the first for my .62 Renegade. It was a fairly young hare.

Snowshoe hare blue grouse .62 Flintlock Smoothbore 049.JPG

Snowshoe hare blue grouse .62 Flintlock Smoothbore 032.JPG

Being new to hunting with shot, cards and cushion wads I've tried a couple different ways of carrying the components. I was carrying the cards separate from the cushion wads which added another step to the process of loading the gun. I came up with the idea of inserting a small Altoids tin in the center of a regular Altoids tin. This gives me three compartments, keeping the components separated. This was the first hunt I used this on. It worked very well. I keep my shot, which I wrap in paper shot cups, in another small Altoids tin.

Snowshoe hare blue grouse .62 Flintlock Smoothbore 070.JPG

Snowshoe hare blue grouse .62 Flintlock Smoothbore 080.JPG

It was pretty warm out and I wasn't too far from my vehicle. I decided to go back to it and clean the hare so I could put it in the cooler. With that done I got back to hunting.
Snowshoe hare blue grouse .62 Flintlock Smoothbore 096.JPG

It was getting late but after taking one last week I wanted to try taking another blue grouse with the Renegade. I headed up higher on the mountain looking for the habitat blue grouse like. I wasn't seeing any birds and was about to head back down when I jumped a blue. It was a great way to end the day.

Snowshoe hare blue grouse .62 Flintlock Smoothbore 146.JPG

Great idea with the nested altoids tins! Congrats on a great hunt.

While one's heart might sink a bit seeing a car already parked in the place to be hunted, it many times can result in finding a new spot that will serve nicely on future hunts.

Thank you! I'm pretty happy with the tin setup so far. I did remove the lid from the small tin and put it beneath it with a few nitro cards between the two. That made it high enough to keep the cards in place.

I agree. I tend to go to my favorite spots all the time, ignoring some potentially great areas.

Just seeing your fantastic post now, three months later. A friend of mine prefers waterfowling and small game over big game hunting. He says he gets just as excited about taking a duck or a rabbit as he gets about a deer, and he typically takes more than just one duck or one rabbit on each outing. Your post here reminded me of my friend’s encouragement to get out as much as possible for everything. You and my friend are right. And you are a handy shot, too.

Latest posts

Back