• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my reliable load for ball in a smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
When I first decided to try shooting roundball from a smoothbore, my 20-gauge Phillips double flintlock, I had no idea how to load them. That was in about 1992, and at that time there were few sources of BP shooting information available, no internet forums to ask questions of or test ideas. You pretty much had to wing it. I had been shooting shot from a couple of percussion doubles for some time, so without giving it much thought I just loaded the balls the same way, just substituting a patched ball for shot and overshot card. I do remember checking the relative weights of balls and shot loads. I loaded powder, 1/8” card, 1/2” cushion wad lubed with Crisco, .600” ball patched with cotton and Wonderlube. I was very surprised and pleased, both barrels shot groups of very near 1 inch at 25 yards from a casual rest.
Phillips_right.JPG

Phillips_left.JPG

In the years since those first shots I’ve used that load in my main smoothbore, a 46” barrel 20-gauge flintlock, many times. I’ve shot a lot of other combinations of wadding, both historic and modern, with good success, but that original load has consistently been my most accurate one. That is true from muzzle out to 100 yards and in all three of my 20 gauge smoothbore barrels. The only change I’ve made over the years is the lube, I now use my homemade beeswax-lard lube in place of the Crisco and Wonderlube. If I’m not trying out a historic load, this is still my go-to hunting load after all the years.

Considering why this combination might be my best, I’ve concluded that it does the best job of creating a seal. There’s no such thing as a complete seal, of course, some of the high-pressure gasses alway escape past the wads and patches, but with 1/8” hard card, 1/2” cushion wad and a snuggly-fitting patched ball, the seal on this load has to be pretty good. I think we underestimate the importance of a good seal in our loads. I’ve found that when I use any loose wadding, tow or cedar bark, for instance, accuracy is good but not completely consistent. I suspect that’s because some of the gasses blow through the loose material, more so on some shots than others. If I include a solid barrier over the powder, an overpowder or overshot card or just a folded brown paper wad, velocity/power and recoil increase, and trajectory is more consistent. I think that’s because I’m getting a better, and especially, more consistent seal. Improved consistency is the most important part of that change.

Spence

"Improved consistency". Yes Sir. Very valuable to shooting results as well as in other facets of life. Great post Spence and good to see ya. Any plans of harrassing the turkeys this Spring?

Brit', feels good not needing to look over one's shoulder, huh? Keep playing by the rules!!

Best regards, Skychief.

Mine too....using a wad made such a improvement in my PRB smoothbore accuracy I still clearly remember the day I tried it...and that first group. I've never tried the cushion wad though. I'll give that a try in the next couple days. My best shooting smoothbore is a 20 gauge flintlock with a 43" barrel. It likes the hard nitro card between powder and PRB.

I don't think there's any magic in the load I happened to try. It's the basic principle of working hard for a good seal that is the take-away from my experience, I think. I've had equally good results with completely different combinations of wadding, several of them.

This is a load of 85 grains 3F Goex, a double layer of brown grocery paper, a wad of tow at least 1/2" thick and well compacted, a bare .600" ball and a smaller overshot wad of tow, lightly rammed, 25 yards, casual rest.
Carolina25ydB.JPG

This is 80 grains 3F Goex, brown paper, tow and a patched .600" ball, 50 yards rest.
Carolina50yd.JPG

This is 85 grains 3F, brown paper, shredded cedar bark, bare ball, cedar bark overshot, 35 yards standing rest.
cedar wad ball.jpg

All these targets were shot with a 20-gauge flintlock smoothbore, 46" barrel, front sight only.

The seal is the thing. :)

Spence

Spence,
A question for you Sir.

I assume you have experimented with hornets and wasp nest in the past...

My findings were that using a good pinch of nest between the powder & patched ball seemed to increase pressure of the charge being fired.
As perceived by, felt recoil and slightly higher impact on my target.
When I load the nest on top of the powder I tamp it a couple of times prior too loading the patched ball.
I feel this helps create the seal you referred too above.

This coupled with the fact that it provides a good buffer between the powder & patch is a plus during hunting season,,when the gun may go several days without being fired.

I have mostly used this load in rifled barrels, but don’t see why it wouldn’t help in a smoothbore as well.

I plan too give your method a try, couldn’t hurt anything.

I hear several Guys saying nest materials are hard too find.... I guess I fortunate in that respect.
If you don’t mind an occasional sting in the early Fall hunting season..

Here’s one I found in my shooting house a couple years back .... under my seat!

9CEB4CFA-C9BB-46C3-BE0F-7BED7D22E5DA.jpeg

I was wondering if you or anyone else had similar experiences using nest as a wad/buffer too create a better seal?

I’m looking forward too testing my gun with the card & wad!

Thanks for the info..

Some of the Guys I shoot with prefer a looser fitting patched ball in a smoothbore..... Meaning snug, not tight loading...any opinions?

I have done only a little testing of hornet nest, none of wasp nest. The tests I did with the hornet was using it as overpowder and overshot wadding for shot loads, I never tried it with ball. Patterns with it were sparse, patchy and low power, but my nest material was old and pretty fragile, so it wasn't really a fair test. I'd be surprised if some of it fresher and stronger than mine wouldn't work pretty well as an overpowder wad under a patched ball.

I've always found tighter loads to be more accurate in rifles, but I do use a little looser combo when shooting ball from a smoothbore. Not thumb starting, but easily started with the handle of my knife and rammed without trouble.

Spence

Spence,
A question for you Sir.

I assume you have experimented with hornets and wasp nest in the past...

My findings were that using a good pinch of nest between the powder & patched ball seemed to increase pressure of the charge being fired.
As perceived by, felt recoil and slightly higher impact on my target.
When I load the nest on top of the powder I tamp it a couple of times prior too loading the patched ball.
I feel this helps create the seal you referred too above.

This coupled with the fact that it provides a good buffer between the powder & patch is a plus during hunting season,,when the gun may go several days without being fired.

I have mostly used this load in rifled barrels, but don’t see why it wouldn’t help in a smoothbore as well.

I plan too give your method a try, couldn’t hurt anything.

I hear several Guys saying nest materials are hard too find.... I guess I fortunate in that respect.
If you don’t mind an occasional sting in the early Fall hunting season..

Here’s one I found in my shooting house a couple years back .... under my seat!

View attachment 71450

I was wondering if you or anyone else had similar experiences using nest as a wad/buffer too create a better seal?

I’m looking forward too testing my gun with the card & wad!

Thanks for the info..

Some of the Guys I shoot with prefer a looser fitting patched ball in a smoothbore..... Meaning snug, not tight loading...any opinions?
I am a hornets nest guy and proud of it simple and accurate. 69 grains of 2 or 3 f BP then a finger chunk of Nest followed by a .615 ball nestled in a spit blue pillow tick patch is magic.

Back