• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spanish Jukar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the earliest model percussion lock used by CVA when they started in 1971. Jukar sold guns and kits through other importers both before and after CVA started in 1971. There is no stirrup in that lock. It was used with a bolster style breech plug. You should be able to see a seam around the breech of the barrel about one inch from the rear where the metal of the breech plug meets the barrel. The bolster breech plug threads will extend within the barrel about 5/8 inch forward of that seam. You may not be able to extend the ram rod into the the bolster thread area. Most of those barrels were 45 caliber and 7/8 across the flats. (A few lesser known models had round barrels. and other calibers are found but are rare.)

That is the earliest model percussion lock used by CVA when they started in 1971. Jukar sold guns and kits through other importers both before and after CVA started in 1971. There is no stirrup in that lock. It was used with a bolster style breech plug. You should be able to see a seam around the breech of the barrel about one inch from the rear where the metal of the breech plug meets the barrel. The bolster breech plug threads will extend within the barrel about 5/8 inch forward of that seam. You may not be able to extend the ram rod into the the bolster thread area. Most of those barrels were 45 caliber and 7/8 across the flats. (A few lesser known models had round barrels. and other calibers are found but are rare.)
I'm sorry that this is irrelevant to the thread, guys.
Zimmerstutzen, is there a better way for me to contact you about the Wheellock? I don't think my messages are going through to you.

Appears to be the same gun CVA sold, finished or in kit form, as the Colonial pistol. They were available in percussion and flintlock models. Simple little guns that shot better than one would expect.

I have the exact same pistol, the ramrod sticks out about 1/4" when empty. I dovetailed the barrel and added a much taller sight, and it shoots dead on aim and quite accurately. I shot a lot of rabbits and ground squirrels with it in my youth. the breach plug extends almost to the rear sight, yours looks like an early model like mine, sold by CVA as a Colonial pistol.

So I shot it yesterday and it fires. It shots a little high(11") and to the left (8") this was at 30'. I think the spring maybe a little weak or my nipple i put in is not correct I used one of my rifle nipples. I had a couple non fires on first strike. I found pushing the cap down with a dowel seemed to help. I was using #11 caps which i use on my rifles and they normally do fine on them. It was fun to shot I started with 20gr and worked my way up to 40gr. It was worth the $25. I'll have to work on the sites. I'm going to polish the barrel in case there are any burs from the neglect. I couldn't retrieve my patches to check them since I was at an indoor range. Nice project though.

It depends on how long your ramrod is.

Remove the ramrod or use a wooden dowel rod. place the rod in the V created between the barrel and the wood on the side the lock is on. place one end of the rod against the bolster. Mark the other end of the rod flush at the muzzle. Now drop the rod down the barrel, That mark should again be flush. if it protrudes a 1/2 inch or more then the gun is loaded or has something in it.
ditto on the advice. I might add whatever length you arrive at for your ramrod, mark it when you put it down an empty chamber, a very shallow groove will do. This will tell you if you have something down the barrel, grooved if it is low light so you can feel it.

Latest posts

Back