• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spanish Jukar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on how long your ramrod is.

Remove the ramrod or use a wooden dowel rod. place the rod in the V created between the barrel and the wood on the side the lock is on. place one end of the rod against the bolster. Mark the other end of the rod flush at the muzzle. Now drop the rod down the barrel, That mark should again be flush. if it protrudes a 1/2 inch or more then the gun is loaded or has something in it.

Or has a patent breech

Yes, the Jukar's had a patent breech, same as CVA. The breech "face" if you use a 3/8 diameter rod or larger begins at the forward edge of the bolster.

You can always blow compressed air though the barrel from bolster to muzzle to determine if it is loaded.

I bought this used and the rod is sticking out about a half inch when in the barrel. When I pull it out marked it shows up about at the rear sight when I lay it next to the barrel. I was hesitant to buy it but I did it any way for 20.00.

Sounds like something is in there to me. A lot of something. Proceed with caution.

I bought this used and the rod is sticking out about a half inch when in the barrel. When I pull it out marked it shows up about at the rear sight when I lay it next to the barrel. I was hesitant to buy it but I did it any way for 20.00.
Wow, yes I bet there is something in there and there is no way to tell what. Please don't try to shoot it out - it might even be smokeless powder. You need to pull the load or blow it out without fireing it.

when you put the loading rod down the barrel does it go all the way in if it is empty?

That would depend on the length of your ramrod. Most ramrods supplied with the gun/rifle are too short.
The breech plug extends into the barrel just short of the vent hole, so you should lay the ramrod along the barrel until you reach the vent hole. Mark the ramrod at the muzzle at this point. Place the ramrod down the barrel; it should go a little further in than your mark. If it does not, then there is something in the breach of the barrel.
Keith.

Well got it home soaked the nipple with Kroil and got the nipple out. There was nothing in it. Ran some hot water through it then soaked it in some WD40. Then cleaned it up. I think it will be good. Has some specks of character but other wise ok.

Attachments

• 56653414148__8113CCF0-A81C-460D-996B-3F4EB7E03B40.JPG
    56653414148__8113CCF0-A81C-460D-996B-3F4EB7E03B40.JPG
    409.1 KB · Views: 143
Guess I'm slipping a bit, I thought you were talking about a rifle. Disregard what I said.

Quite a deal on that pistol for $20. Even as frugal as I am I wouldn't have hesitated a milisecond going for my wallet. About 20 grains of 3f and I'll bet you'll be supprised as to how accurate it is.

Thanks for the photo.
Man, that thing's an early model. I've had a few pass through my hands.
It say's "Jukar" on it? Looks like an early Hopkins & Allen import.
Is there a stirrup on the main spring/tumbler connection?

Thanks for the photo.
I will have to pull the lock out which I probably should have done and inspect it. I believe it says Spain and that’s it on the barrel I made the jukar assumption.

Thanks for the photo.
Yes there is a stirrup

Attachments

• 47A87AD5-588F-4C90-82B4-BBB62EE37234.jpeg
    47A87AD5-588F-4C90-82B4-BBB62EE37234.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 104
I have what looks to be that exact same pistol. I think it was around eighteen dollars in kit form back around 1966...

I am not aware of any Jukar pistol that had a patent breech. OTH many of the CVA pistols made at Ardesa did have them. Jukar made pistols with bolster breeches and others that used drum and nipple breeches and then also plain flint breeches, with no touch hole liner. (although some had touch hole liners added after market. ) The bolster breeches are threaded forward of the nipple into the barrel and a ram rod probably does not extend into that narrowed threaded area of the breech. On the drum and nipple models from Jukar, the ram rod should go back to the edge of the drum at least. In the later Ardesa made patent breech models, the drum was cross threaded through the breech plug and barrel threads and then a hollow drilled from the muzzle. Again the ram road will only go back as far as about 3/16 of an inch forward of the drum.

Back