• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sources for octagon to round musket barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am starting to brainstorm a project for a while from now, but with the long lead times on barrels, I wanted to start looking at options. What is a good source for the above profile barrels. I believe Colerain makes the TRS rifle barrels, so they would have something in the 46 inch and .75-.77? What about a barrel around 38inch and .69ish? Is it a feasible proposition to cut down musket barrels to size?

I just ordered a Colerain 58 octagon to round from Pecatonica. Give them a call.
This page?
1675348601500.png

is a Fowler barrel noticeably different than a musket/military barrel, or would it not matter?
Depends on whether you mean a real fowler or what is sold as a fowler barrel. In general, real fowlers had barrels that tapered quite a bit to the muzzle and would be thin-walled there. Musket barrels had to be thicker to mount a bayonet stud and stand up to the poking.

Suppliers now call barrels that are pretty heavy and thick at the muzzle “fowler barrels”. Particularly true on kits.

Depends on whether you mean a real fowler or what is sold as a fowler barrel. In general, real fowlers had barrels that tapered quite a bit to the muzzle and would be thin-walled there. Musket barrels had to be thicker to mount a bayonet stud and stand up to the poking.

Suppliers now call barrels that are pretty heavy and thick at the muzzle “fowler barrels”. Particularly true on kits.
That makes sense. I have the Grinsdale book on fowlers, but it has been a while since I have read it.

Would a .62 look right for a gun closer to .70? It is for a matchlock musket, so there is not as strict of a pattern I am replicating, but I would not want something very off.

is a Fowler barrel noticeably different than a musket/military barrel, or would it not matter?
Many fowling piece barrels are octagon to round. I have never seen a musket barrel that was not round for its full length. Musket barrels tend to be thicker due to rough combat use & the need to carry a bayonet. Fowling barrels tend to be lighter for better wing shooting. I would like to find a light weight (fowling) barrel in full round, 16 bore & 44+" length.

Hi,
A fowler barrel in 20 gauge would look right superficially but matchlock muskets had bores 70-80 caliber. None were designed for socket bayonets although some were fitted with plug bayonets. Smaller calivers issued during the late 16th century had relatively standard bores of about 20 gauge. However, they fell out of fashion during the 17th century and most armies carried just muskets.

dave

Many fowling piece barrels are octagon to round. I have never seen a musket barrel that was not round for its full length. Musket barrels tend to be thicker due to rough combat use & the need to carry a bayonet. Fowling barrels tend to be lighter for better wing shooting. I would like to find a light weight (fowling) barrel in full round, 16 bore & 44+" length.
Starting around the end of the 1500s, octagon to round seems to be the norm for matchlock muskets

Hi,
A fowler barrel in 20 gauge would look right superficially but matchlock muskets had bores 70-80 caliber. None were designed for socket bayonets although some were fitted with plug bayonets. Smaller calivers issued during the late 16th century had relatively standard bores of about 20 gauge. However, they fell out of fashion during the 17th century and most armies carried just muskets.

dave
Luntlåsmusköt
This is the one I was considering for the 20 guage barrel.

I think I may switch gears to a caliver, but I have not found a good example of a fisthail one online, that is not itself replica.

I have been primarily involved with Colerain barrels, but I wanted something a little longer and slimmer for a Rifle Shoppe build I was doing. The barrel needed to be 46" long and in .62 caliber. I bought a Longhammock barrel from Jim Chambers and I am very satisfied with it. The wood was cut for the Colerain profile so it was necessary to "shrink" the barrel channel just a little and lengthen it an inch or so. It turned out very nicely. But please note that some barrels are bored for .62 and some for .625 (a true 5/8 "). It makes a difference when shooting unpatched balls.

IMHO all the "Fowler" barrels are too thick. The standard seems to be one size fits all. Trade guns are the same. Same stocks and inletting INSIDE diameters for 20, 24, 28 gauge the same outer dimension.

IMHO get a 16 gauge as the dimensions and weight will be closer to the originals of that gauge. All the other gauges you will have a larger barrel mass than any of the antiques I own.

I am starting to brainstorm a project for a while from now, but with the long lead times on barrels, I wanted to start looking at options. What is a good source for the above profile barrels. I believe Colerain makes the TRS rifle barrels, so they would have something in the 46 inch and .75-.77? What about a barrel around 38inch and .69ish? Is it a feasible proposition to cut down musket barrels to size?
Rice make nice octagon to round barrels

Back