• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

source of wax for lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzerd

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using those cheap wax rings from hardware store ( usually sell for about $1.50 each ) made for sealing toilet bowl on it's base flange, or are they not made of beeswax??? It's been hard to find real beeswax around here. Just a thought.... after doing some renovation work it occured to me they could be a source of wax. Thanks for replies....Bob. :thumbsup:

Try Hobby Lobby if you have one in your area {or on internet @ www.hobbylobby.com serach beeswax} comes in 1lb. blocks kinda pricey $11.00 a lb. they do have it in stock!! :m2c: :redthumb:

B.W.F.B. works out to $6/lb incl S&H if you buy three lbs at a time (as I do).

I use it as lube base, casting flux, leather waterproofing, metal protectant (keeps an in-the-white gun white), wood sealant, antler & horn dressing (knives & measures), thread dressing for leather work, rope whipping & sewing, powderhorn sealant, etc., etc.

It's like Colonial WD-40!

Try ebay, I've bought it there pretty cheap. I use it for making bowstrings.

I found some at a Jo-Ann's Fabrics store, which is a nationwide sewing and craft center store. My wife has a business called Soft in the Head. She makes soft sculpture dolls and spends way too much time and money in there.

I found it with the candle making supplies. Was very expensive, about $12.99 for a pound if I remember correctly. Then found out there is a place about 30 miles from here that sells it for $3 a pound. Since I need the beeswax to make candles for Rev War reenactments, I expect I'll be making a trip there shortly.

She makes soft sculpture dolls and spends way too much time and money in there.

And what does she say about you gun hobby and reenactment costs? :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Woody

Thanks all .... looks like I'm going to put some effort into tracking down a beekeeper ... maybe I can get about five or ten pounds which should last quite a while .... Bob. :thumbsup:

She makes soft sculpture dolls and spends way too much time and money in there.

And what does she say about you gun hobby and reenactment costs? :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Woody

The real trick is that she makes money from spending money there. I haven't figured out how to do that yet with my gun and reenactment hobby.....but I'm working on it.

Have a source in Calif. Gets 1.75 per pound (the good yellow stuff} I believe they come in 35 lbs tubs. I use for lead flux.

being a plumber i can tell you the wax rings today are petrolium based and not worth a[url] d...in[/url] muzzle loaders(if you ever got some on your new carpet you'll know exactly what i mean). :redface: :curse:
you can get bees wax at any hobby lobby or michaels in their candle makeing section

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine from a company called Stakich. They have deals on the "big internet auction site" that everybody talks about. They also sell through their website. They were the best deal I could find at the time I was looking.

I was gonna tell you that I used earwax but I don't think you would believe it. Bees wax is 6-8 bucks a lb in maine I mix 60% bear oil with 40% bees wax. I call it Nit Wit lube great stuff.If folks can find bw for free or 3.00 a lb. scoff all you can. You can make some good money. Come to Maine kill a bear render down the fat while on your trip, mix with wax. Sell your lube which is all natural and can be used for great hand cream and you end up with a frreee hunt. I'm a genious, why do my friends call me
NIT WIT :redthumb:

Yeah, they've changed the formula for toilet gaskets. No longer real beeswax.
My earlier post, "How to best use a cap and ball revolver" advised to buy toilet seals as a source for beeswax. Now, I have to advise against it.
I get my beeswax at Renaissance Fairs, Mountain Man Rendezvous and the occasional craft and hobby store. The best deals I've found were at Mountain Man Rendezvous.
There are numerous sites on the internet that sell it. Thanks to all of you above who provided those links.
Your local County Extension Agent may be able to tell you who rides herd on bees in your area (look for the guy with teenie-tiny branding irons! :: ).
You may also find beekeepers listed in the Yellow Pages, under Apiary or Beekeepers. Give them a call, you may be able to purchase beeswax at a competitive price directly from the apiarist.
I've found it far more difficult to find mutton tallow, for my favorite bullet, patch and felt wad lubricant recipe. The only source I've found for mutton tallow is Dixie Gun Works, at $3.50 for 6 to 8-ounce tub.
Most craft and hobby shops have beeswax, but as has been noted it is typically very expensive.
Real beeswax is marvelous stuff. When heavily filtered, it has a goldenish glow to it. It also smells faintly of honey.

I was gonna tell you that I used earwax but I don't think you would believe it. Bees wax is 6-8 bucks a lb in maine I mix 60% bear oil with 40% bees wax. I call it Nit Wit lube great stuff.If folks can find bw for free or 3.00 a lb. scoff all you can. You can make some good money. Come to Maine kill a bear render down the fat while on your trip, mix with wax. Sell your lube which is all natural and can be used for great hand cream and you end up with a frreee hunt. I'm a genious, why do my friends call me
NIT WIT :redthumb:

Y'all don't think it has somethin' to do with that rancid bear grease smell do yuh? :p

I buy bee's wax by the pound at my local farmers market 4oz last cost me a dollar.On the other hand just accross the isle the elk jerky was 12.95 a pound. Two pounds of jerky and 4 oz of wax....well economics are not my strong suit.

Bullwnkl.

Back