• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

source for wood screws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
where is there an inexpensive place to buy wood screws? need slotted unplated and brass,flat head and oval head, various sizes. Some of the component/build sites want $1-$2 ea. for these things! Cant find the sizes I need locally. Thanx

Muzzleloader builders supply has a very good selection . Can't say they are cheep , but certainly not a dollar a piece.

Try here [url] www.leevalley.com[/url] They have a variety of brass screws at reasonable prices. It's mail order out of NY state but I'm sure you will find what you're looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
A long while back I worked at a hardware store, and I ordered some regular sloted screws from the people that stocks the hardware stores. National I think. Anyway they still do make them and have them, they just need to be ordered. Talk to your local Ace or TrueValue and see if they can order them for you.

Brownells has them in unplated versions. If you are not a dealer these are about $4-5 a dozen. Lots of sizes. With fuel the way it is now sometimes a bit more from mail order is a good deal.

Could I ask if you plan to use brass screws on a gun build?

They are not correct for use on any period of rifle or smoothbore I have ever seen. If you really want to use brass screws, then go for it, but they are not correct.

The plating can be burned off of plated screws from your local hardware store. Just lay 'em on a brick, outside, and heat 'em until they turn black. It's best to stay cross wind, BTW.
J.D.

I'm doing lock work, browning,and refinishing on several T/C Hawkens for other people. I just cant bring myself to put those buggered up screws in anything leaving my bench. T/C wants around two dollars each on average! Thanks for the help, I will check all the sources offered..

Latest posts

Back