• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for spear and lance blades?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
Do y’all know of any websites that sell reproduction trade spear and lance blades? I’m looking to make a dag and a lance knife based off of originals. I’m not super pleased with Crazy Crow’s selection, so let’s avoid that for now. Thanks.

Hello,
Do y’all know of any websites that sell reproduction trade spear and lance blades? I’m looking to make a dag and a lance knife based off of originals. I’m not super pleased with Crazy Crow’s selection, so let’s avoid that for now. Thanks.
I did a google search and came up with several places..👍

Both rock and metal heads..👍👍

Not a ton of luck, I guess I’m looking in the wrong places. These are the kind I’m after, I’m thinking of contacting a craftsman on this page about making me one or two

Attachments

• 5B55B8AD-09A4-4D84-AEA5-AD2410D25C68.jpeg
    5B55B8AD-09A4-4D84-AEA5-AD2410D25C68.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 0
Museum of the fur trade in Chadron Nebraska commissioned a replica Sorby dag about 25 years ago. It was not made in large numbers and when they come up for sale they are pricey.

A halfway decent 'smith could make you some out of files -- or 5650 leaf spring material, or lawnmower blades. I like your project. Lances seem to be greatly underrepresented and unappreciated, both those hafted with knapped blades by our First Nations and those hafted with iron or steel by the Spanish-influenced cultures to the south.
John R. Cook in his incomparable memoir, "The Border and the Buffalo -- All Gone," recounts hunting buffalo with a Mexican family in the Panhandle in 1874. He says Mexicans would travel north to the Texas country in fall with heavy wagons for meat hunts. The preferred weapon was the lance, with blade about 14 inches long and attached by sinew to a staff seven to eight feet long.

If one is set up to forge, any old leaf spring is excellent. I prefer the “found on the side of the road” brand.
Be warned, leaf spring is tough and if not annealed working it can wear one out ;)

If no forge is available, I recommend, and use, old wore out lawn mower blades . My preferred brands are “free for the taking” and “I’m throwing it out anyway” .

lawn mower blades, while soft by modern standards, are better steel than the originals, and yet are still easily worked with a hack saw, files, and a bench grinder.

I found that old circular saw blades are “iffy” . they are thinner than mower blades or leaf spring, if thinner is desired, so less work. Modern 7 1/4 inch or 10 inch either have hardened teeth or carbide tooth “inserts“ . one should anneal The body of the blade for ease of cutting, but due to the shape and size it can be a chore compared to mower blades….

oh, any old fire that will heat the metal up to the point that a magnet wont stick will work for annealing.
then bury the metal in ashes or hot sand so as to cool it slowly.

yhs
shunka

Older leaf springs were often made of 5160. This steel can make wonderfully useful blades. I highly recommend tracking down a copy of Tim Lively's "Knifemaking Unplugged" to get a sense of how to work it using minimal forging tools.

Latest posts

Back