• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sometimes it does work!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonredbeard

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I took the redhairedgal out to the public range yesterday morning. I wanted to see if she could redeem herself after the non performance at the Rifle Frolic Labor Day weekend. To my astonishment she went eight shots for eight spins of the wheel. 100% ignition. I would have fired more but I ran out of .590 balls after the third shot. So I sent five .530 balls downrange with varying amounts of patching and with equally varying placement of shots, but I had to keep shooting. Next time I will do a better job of getting the right balls into the box.

The Lord helps me keep on learning. I had mention here I am sure about the way Keith Casteel had shaped his pyrite for his rifle. So I took a piece of pyrite and left it twice as thick as I usually do and shaped a wedge on one edge to a point. THIS MAY BE THE SECRET TO GETTING RELIABLE FIRE FROM A WHEELLOCK! The pyrite has to be thick enough to avoid breakage. But the point for scratching the wheel across must be thin enough to build the necessary heat and knocking bits of orange hot pyrite off and into the waiting prime. I also clamped it directly into the jaws of the dog without leather. Leather may decrease the amount of spark by acting as a shock absorber. Just a theory right now, okay.

So here are a couple of picks of the pyrite after returning from the range. One pic shows the basic shape and the other shows the wear on the sharp edge. The wedge can be renewed repeatedly until the pyrite is too short hold in the jaws of the dog.
pyrite001.jpg

pyrite002.jpg

God bless.
volatpluvia

Latest posts

Back