• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

... zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZ-BOOM ... Wheellock fun!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Read something interesting the other day. As a source of 'spark', the pyrite that wheellocks use is faster to create a spark than when flint strikes steel, as the pyrite itself makes the spark. Whereas on the flintlock, the flint needs to scrape off hot steel to make the spark. But the mechanism itself - think akin to a Zippo lighter - is slower in lock time, as the wheel needs to come up to RPMs whilst the dog drops down into the spinning wheel and that only after the pan cover has been opened by the cam on the tumbler. Thus ... looooooong lock time!

This weekend it was requested that I bring my wheellock to a local rendezvous camp/woodswalk event and I wanted to get a few shots in. Not too bad for offhand @ 25-yards .... hold, hOlD, HoLd, HOLD ... all the way through the shot! Unlike a firelock were there can be the dreaded fssshhhhBOOM or KlatchBOOM prior to the shot, at least on a poorly tuned or prepped flinter, I'd say the shot sequence on a wheelie is more like that of the zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZ-BOOM as any 'delay' is the wheel spinning before the spark is created.

My aiming point was a 6 o-clock hold on the botton of the red bull, so I'd say my elevation is OK, less the flyer on shot #3 (not called). If she keeps hitting the inch right, maybe I'll bend the barrel, LOL!

BP, 58-Cal Wheellock20 25Yd Group.jpg

Last edited:
That’s some serious follow through. My first flintlock ($25 yard sale Spanish gun) was incredibly slow to fire but helped me develop a good follow through which improved my shooting skills. As the interwebs hadn’t been invented yet I just thought that was how flintlocks were. Then an old boy of great experience showed me that the flash hole was half covered by the pan and suggested filing a deep groove to let the pan match the hole. Presto! Fast ignition. The concentration and focus remained and it was good. I’ve seen smoothbore wheel locks fired and the shooter had that intensity of focus ( had to, given the long lock time).

Youse asks ... youse gets ...
We be needin' a Youtube, friend. :cool:
Nice! I love a wheellock. A video would be fun😊
There is a sad dirth of youtube wheellock content. Any addition would be great.

Here's a video from the 2022 SoVT MZL snowshoe biathlon. The ignition looks FAST here, and maybe it's me ... as I hear the wheel ZZZZZzzz'ing prior to the shot ...

Oh, and that's a coned barrel above too, coned by a Joe Woods, aka flintsteel, coning tool.

Pretty interesting ... I slowed the video down by using the playback speed in the bottom right part of the screen. I am not sure how many frames accompany each 'step' through the video, but it goes like this:

WL1 - Dog drops into the spinning wheel after the pan opens - Note the sparks as the pyrite smashes into the spinning wheel.
WL2 - Also note that NOTHING is happening here ... those initial sparks appear NOT to have ignited the pan charge
WL3 - The pan is beginning to ignite. Be aware that I only prime the pan on the inside of the wheel, the barrel side
WL4 - Pan has fully ignited
WL5 - Main charge lights off ...

I would say there were 2 additional frames (not shown) between pictures WL2 & WL3, and then about 3 to 4 additional frames between WL4 to WL5. I wish I could get ahold of Larry Pletch, who did all those flintlock 'timing' video research, to time this W-L process in milliseconds, just for fun.

WL1
WL1.jpg

WL2
WL2.jpg

WL3
WL3.jpg

WL4
WL4.jpg

WL5
WL5.jpg

Last edited:
I dunno Flint,
I have never fired a wheellock, but it has been variously reported that they are as fast as a breechloader. I know W Keith Neal thought so, and he was of great experience.
Mind, he did have the best from the day to experimant with. I'd have expected at least the same speed as a matchlock, but this is just based on assumptions!
I wonder if the dog spring is a bit weak if it is slow to contact the wheel?

best,
Rich.

It may be because for that last shooting session I had only primed 1-side of the wheel? Maybe priming the other side too would 'catch' those 1st sparks you see in picture WL1?

And yes, the video sure looks FAST ignition in realtime, so it could be my perception too! I just know that I really need to bear down/focus and hold all the way through the shot with a wheelie, even more than any other ignition BP arm that I shoot.

Last edited:
Some of the other examples I’ve seen, they basically fill the pan. No idea if that helps.
On the day that video was shot, I got 28-shots off without a mis-fire ... where the 29th ... no spark (using pyrite 'crumblies'). It was a dry cold day, so that likely helped, very low humidity. And I bet I still primed only one side of the pan, so again ... likely it is more my perception for just how long a lock time it has.

It definitely is not as fast as a matchlock, that's for sure!

Could we say this is the case for all wheellocks Flint?

I have a matchlock barrel made, and two bought barrels in the rafters, and would like to make a matchlock target rifle one day.
(Not In one day you understand!!)
a short .60, a 32" .58 and a 42 inch I think .50, then a heap of antique barrels to stock up still or sell! One's a lovely 8 bore twist barrel for a tubelock.

Well, I brought the wheellock and a Ferguson rifle to the woodswalk, but they would only let me shoot the wheellock, as the Ferguson is not a muzzleloader, according to their woodswalk rules.

It was pretty dry out and the pan cover started ‘not opening’ after about 14 shots, and there were 16 shots in the woodswalk, so I shot the last 2 with the pyrite directly on the wheel and I will say the ignition was instant!

I also shot with someone who usually places in the top 2 or 3 and I was only 2 shots behind him, missing a couple that I really should’ve had. So otherwise the wheellock performed great!

Flint,
Thinking your dog spring may be a bit weak if there was a big difference between dog on cover or dog on wheel.
Or, pan cover not very instant in opening.,
Great news on your shooting though! Congrats!!

Flint,
Thinking your dog spring may be a bit weak if there was a big difference between dog on cover or dog on wheel.
Or, pan cover not very instant in opening.
The pan cover was seriously GUNKED up with dried BP residue, couldn't move it manually ... as there were quite a long time between the 'last fired' shot and the 'last shot'. Dog spring is fine.

I also disassembled the pan cover from its lever and diamond-honed all the interfacing surfaces, so residue is less likely to collect and/or impede operation.

Latest posts

Back