• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FYI, ‘crumbly’ pyrite works in a wheelock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the maker is happy but he made it 'so long since & not seen it since. And Iv'e had a sleep since then . But 'Eureka' sounds good to me . of the numbers in NZ yours & mine are it as far as I know of in NZ (Besides Earll Wyatt's one based on his look at mine) but Ive two incomplete and the rest went to or where made overseas . Mine was made in UK but has been here & Aust since the mid 70s I made' one like mine in Massachussets went to inland NY. .But do'nt discount' Ezekials' Tchinke' & the late Chub Wood made one but freelance & I never saw it.
Regards Rudyard

This evening ,I cut a lot of different pyrites igniters , and tried them in the W lock ,
I found I need pyrites as wide as the wheel as it wears down and , if too wide the outside part stops the wheel touching the pyrites , that is unless I change the pyrites and turn it around .
When the dog is sitting on the pan the dog screw needs to be parallel to or just above the line of the barrel , as it appears in my avatar but not pointing down .
The pyrites spark better with a slight wedge tip , with the slope facing into the turning wheel .But over the center of the wheel .
I tried sparking small pieces of crumbly pyrites glued into wood and resting on the pan cover and it was a failure .
Pieces of pyrites which you think look naff ( odd shaped ) work perfectly .

FWIW I glued some metal 'sand' paper or crocus cloth (because it bends easily and doesn't tear) to thin leather, with the grit side 'out' of course. One can use that to hold crumbly pieces securely in the dog jaws.

I was at the range this morning and managed to get off one shot with my wheel lock before the range closed . It functioned perfectly and with a very quick ignition , I even hit what I was aiming at , a hill side 150'yards away :thumb:
I went up to Motueka pistol club range yesterday and shot a flintlock Baltic birding piece. great range and gentlemen all . Regards Rudyard

I took my wheel lock to the range today , It was about 80 F with a slight breeze , I set up my targets at 28 yards and fired 6 shots , The first shot I loaded 70gr of Goex fff , the rifle went off with an almighty bang , I forgot my ear muffs , I dropped the load to 50 gr fff and shot this
group . I didn't bother to do any load development , I am just happy to get this wheel lock working . I put the tip of the fore sight at the top of the black , This pic is 2x actual size . I had one pfff flash . My fault . . Boy you really need to follow through with the wheel lock , .my flinters are all as fast as a caplock , this is wheel lock defiantly flash ---BANG, Accuracy is great , now I need to do some load development and refine the pyrites shape . Thanks to every one for your help , especially Flint62smoothie and Rudyard

20220305_191830.jpg

Last edited:
Dear Cutfinger .So very pleased you are getting on fine with Louis . I got the Pyrites pieces Thank you I must dust off mine and have a shoot it has a 45 Douglas Brl I swamped . Mostly shot at game so quite dog eared from that stuff, bush bashing tones them down very well Generally & loaded 3 drams & a Ball but sometime I shot a patched Picket bullet with hollow nose that ran the thumb into my nose only real plus was I could screw out the bullet if Ide done hunting more readily .
Regards Rudyard

One thing I found is the pyrites must be cut smooth , no ridges or bumps , as closing the dog jaws on a slightly unevenly cut piece can smash it with an ominous crunching sound I will be using soft thick leather in future in the hope it takes up the surface irregularities , 3 drams /82 grains is quite a load , Louis's short 28" barrel would be even more noisy with a load like that , most of it would end up as a large muzzle flash .
I must say the wheel lock is very comfortable to shoot with that fish tail stock .

Three drams was too much I agree but I was thinking more of killing than target plus I had some notion the extra might counter any damp since the rifle was loaded all week or more (Which was true of percussion & carried capped on longer trips in Canada ,But I found it best to carry uncapped with just a bit of rubber to seal the nipple ) Mostly in NZ my trips where 7 days or so & only the Takaka via Anatoki & South to the Wangapeka was ten days via Stanley, Wainaro, Fenella ,Beutifull to Roaring Lion the Karamea Bend ,Leslie over the Wilkinson to the Baton thence over into the Main Crow ,Taylor & onto Kiwi saddle hut where sodden as a drowned rat & have to fire it off as a party of elderly trampers where in the hut . Not a little allarmed in the dark but prouved fine once I explained my need to unload it . & out down the Wangapeka next day via Kings old hut a photo of which might be found in my profile files but Ile add one later . Thats 60 odd mile as the Crow flys but the rivers are much more wandering I barreled 7 Goats & I stalked a Hind but didn't get a shot . As I reached the track end at Rolling River I saw a Police car go up to Courthouse flat . I decanted the ' Ben Gunn'' kit and wrapped the rifle in a wooley and I was walking to the gate that used to be there he & a SAR member came back, I says "You'le not give me a ride but Ile open the gate for you . But he says" Hop in "and after we drop off the SAR member we chat & I explain the route ide gone . He Remarked "Youde be a good man on Search & Rescue" .To day Im'e still after 20 years still involved with SAR if too' creaky' to go in with a team I still fund raise & write for the Newsletters .
Regards Rambling Rudyard

Back