• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

something unique? O/U percussion rifle shotgun double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Met a gentleman today that was quite versed in firearms and the conversation turned to BP guns. That was after modern guns for : hunting, pistols, rifles with cartridges ......in conversation.

He prefers flinters. I mentioned I only had caplocks then he described a plethora of currently used (used as in shot these days) guns and also some old curiosities...

One, is an over and under, 50 rifle over a shotgun (not sure of bore). Two hammers on either side, and two triggers that hit the correct nipple. Both barrels octagon, made 1840s in Pennsylvania. He hails from there.

Hope to get to see it soon. Ever heard of a double like this?

Edit: will try for a picture if I can get to see it.

He also has a 0.38 cal rifle I will update you on as well, not sure if that is perc or flint?

I found one at the Cody WY show a few years back marked L.L. Hepburn. Far better quality that the vast majority and I did not try to buy it, like a fool. L.L. Hepburn was the guy that invented the Remington Hepburn single shot.
Dan

O.K.

Next question, why did moderators move this post to smoothbores, as gun in question is a RIFLE and a shotgun, AND I am trying to I.D. a TRADITIONAL ORIGINAL BP gun???

If all the posts on this type of gun are here and I will get more responses I'm fine with that.

Otherwise why do we have a place to I.D. guns ( E.g. GUNS, not rifles, shotguns, pistols etc)?

Back