• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Something that always bugged me in the Horse Operas…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Putting up the Wanted Poster using the butt of an obviously original antique revolver as a hammer!!

Dang boys! Couldn’t you find an old timey original actual hammer? Or, failing that, maybe use what my friend Hipolito used to call a Mexican hammer! (For those who’ve never been to Chihuahua it’s a rock…)

Second on my list is the Colt six shooter that never runs dry. It’s bad but at least they aren’t beating the snot out of an innocent original Colt!

it was just a tool to them i guess. i have a few 49's and a 60 with hammered butts
I’ve seen all sorts of damage done to originals, yes, that’s true. I really doubt an actual gunman would be one of those doing such a thing. I’ve carried professionally and I’d beat the nail in with my forehead before I’d ever do it with my handgun…

Same thing with pistol whipping like Earp supposedly did. The average criminal has a head hard enough to easily bend a barrel or frame with a solid whack. (You never know when you’re gonna need to hit what you’re shooting at.) Much better to pull a sap and put the lights out with a tool made for that purpose.

Last edited:
I’ve seen all sorts of damage done to originals, yes, that’s true. I really doubt an actual gunman would be one of those doing such a thing. I’ve carried professionally and I’d beat the nail in with my forehead before I’d ever do it with my handgun…

Same thing with pistol whipping like Earp supposedly did. The average criminal has a head hard enough to easily bend a barrel or frame with a solid whack. (You never know when you’re gonna need to hit what you’re shooting at.) Much better to pull a sap and put the lights out with a tool made for that purpose.
Generally I agree, but I would think a Colt Walker would hold up just fine to the occasional pistol whipping? 🤕😁

Second on my list is the Colt six shooter that never runs dry
Oh poo-poo, Clint eastwood had 3 revolvers run dry in the Outlaw Jose Wales!
That poor bad guy had to wait the full 17 single action dry fire trigger pulls in fear before he pulled his sword in defense,
(th pocket pistol only had a 5 round cyl)
I've always enjoyed the multi-shot flint lock pistol in The Revenant. Quit the feat for being on horseback.
I mean honest,, how else are ya gonna take out the bad guy's!(?)

Last edited:
Putting up the Wanted Poster using the butt of an obviously original antique revolver as a hammer!!

Dang boys! Couldn’t you find an old timey original actual hammer? Or, failing that, maybe use what my friend Hipolito used to call a Mexican hammer! (For those who’ve never been to Chihuahua it’s a rock…)

Second on my list is the Colt six shooter that never runs dry. It’s bad but at least they aren’t beating the snot out of an innocent original Colt!
I remember reading some where and believe it was Elmer Kieth who said every 73 single action army he saw that had been used as a hammer had a distorted/bent butt frame and chipped or cracked grips.

I have an 1858 with a 12 inch barrel. it seems pretty delicate when you think of that 12 inch barrel like a pipe extension on a socket wrench. I can't picture knocking someone out with the barrel and not bending something important... wonder how many times Wyatt actually did that trick with the buntline?

I've always enjoyed the multi-shot flint lock pistol in The Revenant.
Yours isn't? 🤣 Really, it's the movies, do you expect accuracy? All fiction action, movies or books stray into the realm of the improbable. I have written four action adventure novels. If the improbable were not allowed my pages would be blank.

Actually, to your point, the real Outlaw Josey Wales (Elliot's Scouts, Missouri Partisan Rangers, Quantrill's Raiders, Missouri Bushwackers *sic, etc.) carried up to six revolvers into battle, and their tactic was to charge from concealment straight into the Union soldiers dropping the pistols as they were emptied. Generally they would never take on a superior force, so they typically had time after the battle to retrace their charge and retrieve all their dropped pistols. Many of their surviving weapons were found just lying on open ground where they missed picking them up after the battle.

Perhaps the "New York Reload" is more accurately described as the "Missourah Reload".

They carried breach loading Henry rifles, but for H2 they did not have bayonets like the Union, but rather were old school with tomahawks and bowies.

There are accounts that say unlike most cavalry, they loaded all six chambers before a battle, and did not carry on an empty for riding. This makes sense, because they were going to fire them all in short order.

In my state our heroes are outlaws.

There are some glaring historic inaccuracies about the Movie based on Forest Carter's book, "Gone to Texas", but for it's time it was one of the most accurate, and The Outlaw Josey Wales remains one of my favorite movies right there with Jeramiah Johnson.

Oh poo-poo, Clint eastwood had 3 revolvers run dry in the Outlaw Jose Wales!
That poor bad guy had to wait the full 17 single action dry fire trigger pulls in fear before he pulled his sword in defense,
(th pocket pistol only had a 5 round cyl)
I've always enjoyed the multi-shot flint lock pistol in The Revenant. Quit the feat for being on horseback.
I mean honest,, how else are ya gonna take out the bad guy's!(?)
Damn those Redlegs!

Multi shot flintlocks, I wonder if the director even considered the impossibility. I can imagine the armorer would have pointed it out but yeah, DeCaprio dying cause he couldn’t reload fast enough would make for a pretty short movie…

Saw a movie once where the guy fires four rounds from his Colt, then as he’s sneaking up on someone else he cocks the hammer but doesn’t shoot, a couple of frames later he cocked it again but didn’t shoot, more sneaking around and then finally cocks the pistol (I whispered to my wife, he doesn’t have a round under that hammer…) and bang! Misses… well shoot. It wasn’t a western, some kinda B grade action movie where you check your brain at the door.

Cringe worthy seeing movie actors abuse old Colt's. Back when Western movie production got going old used guns were relatively inexpensive for the studios and gun rental companies to buy.

Really disliked seeing Kevin Costner firing four shots then fanning 7 shots near the end of Open Range.

Have owned two Fox Studio marked Colts both had the barrels lightly stamped " Fox Studio " in fairly large letters; ugh.

Had several other Colts with gun rental company markings that memory fails on the company name at present. A movie studio prop guy had bought an entire big lot of rental company guns and sold them at gun shows about 30 years ago. There were U.S. marked Colts included. Some were quite beat up, some fairly decent but obviously neglected.

Three points... I've seen scenes in movies, and probably on Gunsmoke, where someone was buying a new Colt SA and the price was $8.75 or thereabouts! I guess that's why so many got tossed out into the bushes when someone was disarmed.
Also, ever notice how many people in the western movies will be preparing for a shootout, then seconds before the sh-t hits the fan they jack the lever on their Winchester, or other lever action rifle, to chamber a round? I believe I would have been ready a little sooner, maybe carrying it ready but with the hammer down!
In my opinion Pale Rider with Clint Eastwood had accurate details about the pistols used.

Three points... I've seen scenes in movies, and probably on Gunsmoke, where someone was buying a new Colt SA and the price was $8.75 or thereabouts! I guess that's why so many got tossed out into the bushes when someone was disarmed.
Also, ever notice how many people in the western movies will be preparing for a shootout, then seconds before the sh-t hits the fan they jack the lever on their Winchester, or other lever action rifle, to chamber a round? I believe I would have been ready a little sooner, maybe carrying it ready but with the hammer down!
In my opinion Pale Rider with Clint Eastwood had accurate details about the pistols used.
Same thing with the unmentionables in movies. Always racking their pistols for dramatic effect. You're in dangerous situation or a gun fight and you wait til the last moment to rack your gun? Shotguns too.

Second on my list is the Colt six shooter that never runs dry.
They had an unbreakable agreement with the outlaws and the Indians to stop fighting every six shots. They all got down off their horses, went over to their range benches, reloaded, and then started up again. They leave that part out of the movies because nobody would believe it.

... and I don't either ...

True about the prices but then a top hand in the 1880’s might make $30.00 per month. I don’t know about you but I don’t toss more than a weeks wages away lightly.

Latest posts

Back