• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Something Screwy going on here....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pork Chop

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a dumb question about the Thompson Center Hawken. On the tang, there are 3 screws. Two are obviously screws that secure it, but the third (center) one looks like a set screw. What is that for? I cannot figure it out.

As an aside, I have both the TC and Investarm Hawkens, and the TC seems to be a little better with regards to the factory work. The Investarm is from a kit, but the stuff I am looking at is stuff that was factory completed - like the fit of the breech block, and the lock assembly. I like both!!

I have a dumb question about the Thompson Center Hawken. On the tang, there are 3 screws. Two are obviously screws that secure it, but the third (center) one looks like a set screw. What is that for? I cannot figure it out.

As an aside, I have both the TC and Investarm Hawkens, and the TC seems to be a little better with regards to the factory work. The Investarm is from a kit, but the stuff I am looking at is stuff that was factory completed - like the fit of the breech block, and the lock assembly. I like both!!

The tang on early (70's/80's) style TC Hawkens had the extra screw predrilled to accept the tall vernier tang sight which was fairly common back during that time.

The little screw that's in there is simply a dummy screw.
If/when a Vernier Tang Sight is installed, it's mounting holes match up with the rear-most tang screw hole and that middle hole.

Thanks! I kind of wondered if it was for something like that, but the screw in the hole threw me...

Of course, the next question is are those sights still available?

Thanks! I kind of wondered if it was for something like that, but the screw in the hole threw me...

Of course, the next question is are those sights still available?

The good TC verniers are long out of production, however you see them about every month on one of the big auctions...average around $75

I think that back-screw also will hold a custom scope mount for the Hawkins and Renegade. The front hole of that mount goes into the rear sight screw hole. :peace:

Although it is not a vernier tang sight, the T/C "Hunting Style Tang Peep Sight" is available. T/C part # 7194, for the Hawken. Check T/C's web site, or Fox Ridge Outfitter's. They may show a picture of it.

I just happen to have one of those T-C vernier type sights, and for the price roundball quoted, plus shipping, it is for sale. It is in new, or near new condition.

Thanks for all the help! I need to get this thing shooting first before I start buying gee haws to doo dad it up. I do like the Vernier sight though!!

The sight Midsouth is selling isn't the style T/C sold for your rifle although it would work just fine. The original T/C vernier sight was a 'ladder' style with a folding rectangular upright piece that the sight aperture slid up and down on. I made a fancy one for my Hawken - great for shooting at the range, not so good for hunting - large diameter disc blocks too much of your view. As a practical sight the Midsouth one would be better for that reason. For me open iron sights work better in the hunting field.

Back