• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

somebody told me.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgesofDays

40 Cal.
Reaction score
that there is a plastic sleeve for roundballs like sabots but made for roundballs is this true?

There used to be a product called PolyPatch. It was a sabot for rd balls, but most munufacturers said it would void the warrenty if you used them because of the chance of the ball coming loose and causing a barrel obstruction.

I have a few of these in my loading box---were given to me by someone years ago but I never used one---Think I will dump them tomorrow---more room in the box. :m2c:

Back in the late 70's I tried these. The fouling built up VERY fast and they were hard to load after the second shot. If you need to wipe with a patch every other shot you might as well shoot with that patch and not need to wipe in between. Cheaper and less steps.

Accuracy was lousey, also. I think the .45 were red, the .50 were black (or green?) and the .54 were brown.

Another great innovation that was unnecessary.

Pyrodex or quit? Tough call. Luckily, I've never had to try it so I'll cross that bridge when it hatches. With a flintlock it's blackpowder or nothing, regardless.

Pyrodex or quit?

Not me...I started with Pyrodex in the late 80's and it did fine for me in percussions...if that's all there was left, I'd go back to it in a heartbeat rather than quit muzzleloading all together...even though I shoot Flintlocks now, and sold off some percussions, I kept a set of .45/.50/.54 RB caplocks laying oiled in their cases;

With a flintlock it's blackpowder or nothing, regardless.

It's the main reason I keep up my legal limit of 50lbs of Goex on hand...if BP should become banned...I'd immediately restock with Pyrodex RS, and start using layered loads of Goex/Pyrodex so the Goex supply would outlast me...I already know layered loads of 20grn Goex & the rest Pyrodex work perfectly...would rather have some Goex left over when I check out than need it and not be able to get it to shoot Flintlocks.
:front:

Still have a couple bags of "Poly-Patch" in .45 cal. floating about the cellar somewheres.
Always been impressed by them things being double ended.
Thought for awhile if you found them you could simple use the other end. Found out later that the reason for double end was expansion. Not that it mattered much,,, couldn't hit $h!t with them anyways. Sometimes I wondered if I was actually trying to "group the patches" (?).
Terrible / expensive/ confusing / thangs indeed. :m2c:

About 10 yrs ago I became concerned about the future of BP and acquired enough to last the rest of my shooting life."I AINT WORRIED CAUSE IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE NOW"(An old Jimmy Rodgers song--- you know, Gov. Jimmy Rodgers)" :m2c: :sorry:

Back