• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some gear I made.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silly goose

45 Cal.
Reaction score
408336259.jpg
[/img]

408336257.jpg
[/img]

408336256.jpg
[/img]

408336254.jpg
[/img]

Had some success recently on a hunt and it caused me to reflect a bit on my gear. Not very impressive compared to some of the craftsmen we have on this forum, but it worked well for me, and at this point I'm quite happy with it.

My bag is a run of the mill cabela's bag that I picked up when I first got started 3-4 years ago. I'm liking it more as it gets some wear, and functionally, it is working out well as my .50 rifle bag. These bags have just about doubled in price since I bought that one. I really like that it is just a plain bag.

Anway, I had a relatively small piece of elk antler given to me. I so wanted to make something out of it, yet was afraid I wouldn't be able to do the antler any justice. After much deliberation, I went for it. My first measure is the short one with the wide spout. Measured evenly to the bottom of the lip, it holds 60gr by volume. If I cant it and half fill the opening it measures 70gr. And if I top it right off it measures 80gr. I may use this with my .62 smoothie, where I will likely use a little more shot than powder.

The long thin measure holds 60gr by volume. This wasn't going to be a measure, I was going to use it as a priming flask, with a small plug. I didn't like how that was going, so a measure it became.

My powder flask. This came from the main beam section. When I started this bp game, I used to use plastic vials holding premeasured powder charges. They worked ok, but didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I haven't been sold on a powder horn for a couple of reasons. One, I hunt some pretty thick areas and don't need to keep track of another thing hanging off me, and wondering if it still has its plug, etc... And two, I don't need to carry all that powder. That little flask holds 350gr of powder, still a little much but I think it turned out ok otherwise. I used a .38 special casing for the pour spout.

Pan brush. This one isn't quite finished. I'd like to shorten the handle, and maybe do something a little decorative with it, before staining and sealing it. It is a piece of left over ramrod that I drilled out, and then cut a slit into. I lashed some horsehair together, fit it into the piece of ramrod, applied a lil super glue and then lashed it with some twine. Not entirely finished yet, but it works just the same.

Vent Pick. Just a piece of copper wire. I ground it down to fit the vent, and then bent the upper part around itself. Pretty simple, yet it works.

Ball block. You've all been there done that. Just 1/2" maple with some holes drilled in and filed a bit larger to hold my patched balls firmly.

Nothing earth shattering here, but I am quite happy with my gear at this point. It worked for me this season, and we were successful. I have two other guns to make up some gear for. I am sure as I grow, my gear will change with me. I am very much enjoying my journey with bp. I plan to save some leg bones and such from my last doe, might make a good measure. Hope you enjoy, at least a little bit.

That's how you do it, no matters what other folk think,if it works it works :wink:

You've done some nice work, there. So many times, it seems, achieving elegant simplicity is the greatest challenge of all. I especially like the 3-shot ball block. I have one similar that's a mostly constant companion for my .75 cal Brown Bess, but its finish is nowhere near as beautiful as yours!

Mr. Williams, I hate to waste, that fancy finish on the ball block is leftover LMF stain, sealer and finish from the gun I built. It won't last forever so I'm putting it on everything. :grin:

Thanks for the kind words, all.

I love to tinker.

There you go!! Lots of stuff you can do on your own and fun too.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Nice work, S-G”¦ As I stated elsewhere, not everything is museum quality. Don’t get me wrong, your stuff looks really good, but a lot of the “real” stuff was made in the field with nothing more than a scalping knife. As mtmike said, “if it works, it works”. The fancy horns, guns with relief carvings, metal engraving, wire inlays, etc. were owned by the “rich folks” in town and never saw the frontier. Just compare the rifles made by Wallace Gussler and Hershal House.
Keep up the good work and have fun. That’s rules everyone should live by. :thumbsup:

I like how you found so many uses for that antler piece. Most of the guys in my BP club use pretty traditional stuff (powder horns etc.). I have been downsizing my rig including my shooting bag and trying to find ways to minimize storage. I really like your powder container idea”¦fits nicely into a bag! When I attend the monthly shoots we have benches so I don't have to worry about space but during Voos when I am carrying all my equipment on a trail shoot I prefer light and small.

Some really nice looking stuff ya got there. Nothing better than equipment you made yourself! :thumbsup:

Back