• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some FYI on CCI lot numbers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking over some very dark discolored # 11 CCI caps I just received I was curious as to when they were manufactured. Here is what I learned about reading the lot #: The first letter is the month, A=Jan., skipping the letter I. The next two numbers is the day of the month. The next letter is the year running through the alphabet skipping the letter I and O. The info I came across had "A" starting in 1995 through "Z" ending in 2018. I'm assuming that they would have started the next run with "A" as 2019. So that would give my lot # A19E301 a manufacture date of either Jan. 19, 1999 or Jan. 19, 2023. Looking at them 1999 is more believable!

Last edited:
I'm assuming that they would,,,,,,,,,,,
That can be a problem.
Any manufacturers lot # and/or serial # has nothing to do with providing consumers with valid information of origin. Truth.
They are not required too unless it's a food product with an expiration.
ISO2009 and above certification in manufacture only requires validation of supply components used and the record keeping of those items chain of supply.
Individual Lot#'s can and do have reference to perhaps a specific line, or even an individual logged to that shifts work frame.
All of those random numbers mean nothing to anyone besides the individual company's record keeping.

Besides all that, have you used the caps? How are they working out for ya?
Should I look for that lot# or stay away from them?

That can be a problem.
Any manufacturers lot # and/or serial # has nothing to do with providing consumers with valid information of origin. Truth.
They are not required too unless it's a food product with an expiration.
ISO2009 and above certification in manufacture only requires validation of supply components used and the record keeping of those items chain of supply.
Individual Lot#'s can and do have reference to perhaps a specific line, or even an individual logged to that shifts work frame.
All of those random numbers mean nothing to anyone besides the individual company's record keeping.

Besides all that, have you used the caps? How are they working out for ya?
Should I look for that lot# or stay away from them?
I did try out a couple of the worst looking ones at the house with no powder and they fired off so time will tell as I acquire range time. My personal viewpoint is that if I have an opportunity to get some caps at this point in time I'll take a chance on the quality. Out of 1000 caps I only found one that the primer compound had fallen out of. So, aside from the appearance, they seem to be ok. I can only provide my own experience to you and then you can decide what you want to do. I do think the info on their lot numbers is valid. I will try to contact CCI today and report back on how that goes. And yes, I know how much value anything I say after using the word assume has.

Update. I did contact CCI. They did not explain their lot numbering system to me but said the lot number I gave them, A19E301, indicated those caps were manufactured the 1st quarter of this year. Maybe so, but then it looks like they have been "antiqued". Bottom line is, they do work and my interpretation of the date code lot number seems to also work as stated above.

I just test-fired caps from each tin I bought this morning at my Academy.
Top caps are shiny, lot A18E302.
Bottom tin caps really dark color, lot A19E301 and all fired off fine. Both bought in new blister packs.
In at least 40-plus years shooting MLs, never had a CCI or Remington cap not go bang. Either I’m lucky or I have really good nipples and hammers, I always make sure I dig spent cap out of hammer when they stick there.
Bright and shiny or dark and dull, as long as they fire, I’m happy.

Attachments

• IMG_2052.jpeg
    IMG_2052.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2051.jpeg
    IMG_2051.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back