• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Solid Shot: Ballistics question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBellHood

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Would a solid shot from a muzzle loaded cannon (lets say a 12lb Napoleon) take on lots of angular (spin) momentum when it hit the ground? I have read about solid shot spinning like tops before the round came to rest on ships, but have not found a similar reference for land battles. My guess is that the solid shot from a 12 lb Napoleon would start spinning at very high rotational rates as soon as it hit the ground. Is that tru?

It would have to start spinning. When a part hits the ground it would encounter friction the rest of the ball doesn't and cause top spin.
I have observed large rocks kicked by a brush hog. They fly then hit the ground then seem to gain new energy as they go flying again, and spinning.

That's why so many soldiers who thought they could stop a rolling cannonball with their foot lost them in the process. Still a lot of energy there.

It was common practice when firing at infantry too far out for canister to "bounce" solid shot through their lines..... you may only kill or maim a few with each shot but carnage can have it's negitive effect on one's enemy.........
and it is probable that someone somewhere tried to stop a cannon ball with their foot..... bad idea......

Back