• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Soldering ramrod pipes to barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's your gun. You carry it, you shoot it. If it gives you a sense of satification, then that's all that matters - unless it is ever sold. Then it should be understood that the pool of potential buyers would tend to be smaller and / or a lower sale price. Aside from that, then it's a matter of adressing the mechanical / design issues previously mentioned. Good luck, and always post pictures.

Almost all half stock rifles are built with an under rib. Why?

I've seen underhammer target rifles that have ramrod pipes soldered directly to the barrel. I'm thinking of building a halfstock rifle this way with no rib.

The only practical reason for the rib I can think of is to help guide the ramrod through the pipes? Possibly making it faster to return the ramrod and get back in shooting position?

Am I missing something?
Almost all half stock rifles are built with an under rib. Why?

I've seen underhammer target rifles that have ramrod pipes soldered directly to the barrel. I'm thinking of building a halfstock rifle this way with no rib.

The only practical reason for the rib I can think of is to help guide the ramrod through the pipes? Possibly making it faster to return the ramrod and get back in shooting position?

Am I missing something?
Interesting question. It seems to be human nature to insist on doing something “the way it’s always been done”. It appears that there’s historical evidence that underribs haven’t always been a thing. If I were you, I’d go ahead with your plan. You can always change it later if you like.

Back