• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So ..I have this old "fowler" barrel ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Old 42" round, percussion, shotgun barrel from my neglected stash. At one time it had soldered-on ramrod thimbles and a pinned stock. "London" barely discernable on top and appears to be damascus 12 gauge. Appears to be safe to shoot. Trying to decide between a half-stock with/without under rib or full stock. Which is the easier to build? It will have to remain percussion, perhaps a back-action lock. Probably a "WTH is that?" when/if completed.

Trying to use up old parts I'm uncovering.

Full Stock.

It would look ungainly and visually unbalanced as a half stock. With a little bit of wood at the rear and ten miles of barrel out in front.

What diameter is the breech? I'm guessing huge. 1.200 or bigger?

Why percussion only?

Post up some breech/drum pics.

Last edited:
In its former life, apparently someone soldered ramrod pipes (2) about 2/3 the way toward the muzzle (they're gone, but solder remains). The percussion bolster is intact, resembles military style, but I've seen similar on civilian guns. Nipple is smashed, rusted in, but can possibly be removed, drilled out, and replaced. My photo posting is ...uh...daunting.

No expectation of "building" anything artistic nor even something anyone else would want. Just a fun project using parts I already have without losing body parts when it's finished. Given my age, various excuses, limited budget, etc. "simplest" method rules on this adventure. Thanks for any advice.

Your Obedient Servant.

I'm with Pete, half stock with a wooden rib. I'd pull the breech plug/bolster and make it flint too.
IMG_0300.jpeg

Either way it sounds like a fun project!
Robby

Full Stock.

It would look ungainly and visually unbalanced as a half stock. With a little bit of wood at the rear and ten miles of barrel out in front.

What diameter is the breech? I'm guessing huge. 1.200 or bigger?

Why percussion only?

Post up some breech/drum pics.
I agree, the wooden half rib looks better, but IMHO a barrel that longs needs a full stock. YMMV

Latest posts

Back