So this happened today

Discussion in 'Percussion Rifles' started by fishleclair, Jan 15, 2020.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 15, 2020 #1

fishleclair

fishleclair

fishleclair

32 Cal

Purchased a lymans BP trade rife. Took it out today to shoot. Gave the ole blow down the barrel to make sure no obstructions. Loaded it up and slammed a sabot down the pipe. Percussion cap went on and squeezed the trigger. Just the clap of the cap went off. Loaded another onto it and another clap. Tried 3 more and still no bang. Took my nipple cleaner and tried to probe. Now I gotta take the nipple off and see. However if all looks good and it won’t fire what’s the way to vet a polymer tipped bullet out? Can I unthread the back and push the load through? Never tire one apart before. I used FFG powder and I’m sure it’s down by the hole.

2. Jan 15, 2020 #2

Britsmoothy

Britsmoothy

Britsmoothy

70 Cal. MLF Supporter

Oh lord.....sabots and poly tipped bullets ain't traditional cousin!

3. Jan 15, 2020 #3

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

We would love to help you but we are not allowed to help with anything except lead round balls or 100% lead conicals.

4. Jan 15, 2020 #4

fishleclair

fishleclair

fishleclair

32 Cal

5. Jan 15, 2020 #5

bubba.50

bubba.50

bubba.50

54 Cal.

Get a metric grease zerk, screw it in only finger tight, pump the abominable projectile out with a grease gun.

6. Jan 15, 2020 #6

ppg1949

ppg1949

ppg1949

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

This forums sister forum "Modernmuzzleloading.com" has all kind of info about the "other" type of ML's and what they shoot.

7. Jan 15, 2020 #7

renegadehunter

renegadehunter

renegadehunter

32 Cal.

When I get a fail to Fire I’ve always been successful in getting it to go by removing the nipple and putting black powder in, as much as will fit, then replacing nipple and it goes off with the next cap.

Goose, Britsmoothy and brawny man like this.
  8. Jan 15, 2020 #8

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Let's just call it a b%$t plug.
    Before I make a royal mess to clean up with a grease gun:
    Try compressed air (150psi), if not, go to CO2 (800psi). (Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, it's gonna fly!
    If it still does not move and you are so frustrated that you don't want to deal with it, send the gun to me and I will get it out for you. Will send the gun back to you in a couple of years when I am through "testing" it.

Britsmoothy and Woodnbow like this.
  9. Jan 15, 2020 #9

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

58 Cal.

Just pull nipple and dribble some powder into the drum, replace nipple and it will go off

Goose, Cowboy and Stantheman86 like this.
  10. Jan 15, 2020 #10

bang

bang

bang

45 Cal.

What S. Kenton said.

11. Jan 15, 2020 #11

azmntman

azmntman

azmntman

75 Cal.

Bang and Kent know. I know too but I'm a sinner and clean the clean out screw each outing. I (very easily) remove the clean out screw and dump in powder and replace the screw (very easily) and fire it out. IMHO much easier than the nipple. Others will jump and stamp feet and wave the arms and carry signs to the range that ya NEVER remove the clean out screw but...well, I'm a rebel.... kinda

12. Jan 15, 2020 #12

mushka

mushka

mushka

36 Cal.

I've done what bang and Kenton said a couple of times, always successfully.

13. Jan 15, 2020 #13

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Don't try to remove the breech plug. They are usually so tight that you'll end up scaring up the barrel and the plug if you do.

Under the nipple, there is a small hole that connects the nipple to the bore. I call it a "flame channel". If the gun is new, that hole probably is plugged up with grease. Buy a package of pipe stem cleaners. The ones with tiny wires in them to make them abrasive are best but regular pipe cleaners will work. (These are sometimes available at drug stores, tobacco shops and hobby shops.)
    Remove the nipple and run a pipe stem cleaner down into the flame channel as far as it will go. Rotate it as you push it in. Then, pull it out and run another one in. Repeat this until it comes out fairly clean.

Then, pour a little powder into the hole where the nipple goes and work as much of it as you can down into the flame channel. When you can't get any more in there, remove enough powder from the nipple hole to allow the nipple to screw back in.
    Cap the nipple and try shooting the gun. 90% of the time it will fire on the first attempt. If it doesn't, remove the nipple and reload the flame channel, put the nipple back in and try again. It might take several attempts but sooner or later, if you loaded a main powder charge, it will fire.

14. Jan 15, 2020 #14

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

YUP, you sure are!!!
    But we all listen when you speak........ RESPECT

azmntman likes this.
  15. Jan 15, 2020 #15

fishleclair

fishleclair

fishleclair

32 Cal

Thanks for all the tips. I know the powder in the nipple trick. Have a pedorsoli that I need to do this with for it to go off confidently.

16. Jan 15, 2020 #16

springfield art

springfield art

springfield art

40 cal - b

You should have "popped a cap" first...to see if it was clear.

17. Jan 16, 2020 #17

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

69 Cal.

No!, he should have cleaned it proper.

Okie Hog likes this.
  18. Jan 16, 2020 #18

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

There's a trend here. If fishleclair needs to regularly use the powder under the nipple practice. to get the main charge to go off, there is some problem in the flash channel that is not getting addressed. There was no mention of the powder being used.

Now for both of fishleclair's rifles, he needs to really clean out the rifle with special attention to the flash channel as Zonie has so clearly described. All too often we clean our rifles and use far too much oil as a rust inhibiting grease and store the firearm muzzle up. The oils gel and clog up the flash channel. You might be able to blow down the barrel and actually have air pass through the muzzle to the nipple. Then when the firearm is loaded, the grease gets compressed into the flash channel and no flame gets through from the nipple to the charge.

Carbon 6 likes this.
  19. Jan 16, 2020 #19

fishleclair

fishleclair

fishleclair

32 Cal

I did blow down the barrel first. Had the hiss sound then I put a cap on and gave er a crack and it sounded good. Then loaded and ran into this problem. The only thing I did not do was clean the gun when I got it. I made the assumption that the guy who collected guns had them cleaned when he put them away. Everything looked good so away I went. I got some things to do and know now about the flash pan hole to check and clean. As for powder I use Goex FFG. I have some FFFG powder as well. I’ll update later if I get it cleared.

20. Jan 16, 2020 #20

fishleclair

fishleclair

fishleclair

32 Cal

Took nipple off. No powder in flash channel. Took screw out and used my pocket thing and went into the barrel no grease build up. Smack the gun by hammer with palm of my hand and some powder came out. Looks like the I’ll load up powder under nipple fire it then inspect more.

Draft saved Draft deleted