• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So I made a patch knife!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long story short I had the extreme fortune of visiting with my wife’s grandparents this past weekend in TN. It was a fantastic trip filled with family food and a little intro to forging! My wife’s grandpa has a forge and makes quite a lot of forged items. Anyway he let me play on the coal forge and boy was it fun! This is my first attempt at anything blacksmithing. He gave me a scrap of hay rake and this is what I came up with. I made the blade and we hardened and tempered it. Once I arrived home I finished the handle. The tang is full length through the antler and I then poorer the pewter caps. I tried to do as little grinding as possible as I really like the “forge finished” blades!

This sight has been quite amazing and watching others make things has given me the confidence to try my own! This has become a very fulfilling hobby and I owe a thanks to this form and community for the inspiration and encouragement!

Please let me know what y’all think!
Looks really good!

Long story short I had the extreme fortune of visiting with my wife’s grandparents this past weekend in TN. It was a fantastic trip filled with family food and a little intro to forging! My wife’s grandpa has a forge and makes quite a lot of forged items. Anyway he let me play on the coal forge and boy was it fun! This is my first attempt at anything blacksmithing. He gave me a scrap of hay rake and this is what I came up with. I made the blade and we hardened and tempered it. Once I arrived home I finished the handle. The tang is full length through the antler and I then poorer the pewter caps. I tried to do as little grinding as possible as I really like the “forge finished” blades!

This sight has been quite amazing and watching others make things has given me the confidence to try my own! This has become a very fulfilling hobby and I owe a thanks to this form and community for the inspiration and encouragement!

Thats a beauty !!

Looks like a dandy ..Great job! You should be proud of your work!

Nice work

Back