• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

s'no bunnies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never thought about copying the same one from my other memberships.

This was a decal on my old hunting car but it is now down the road. I miss that old turd! :)

Sorry for the delay, pronghorn.
I use my .32 George Schreyer I built.
The bunnies are pretty shy, even though the 'yotes are gone. The deep snow chased them out, I guess. They're busting out at about 20-30 yards, and then smoke!

Don't take this personally, Pronghorn. And at the risk of sounding like a snob, I don't show anyone where I hunt. I did that a couple of times, and the next thing you know, the place is crawling with hunters. I hunt in a very populated area, with lots of private property, and I worked really hard to make sure I don't cross PP lines. I got a Nat'l Forest map and a topo map, and traced the pp lines on the topo map so I would know where I was at all times. Then I walked the boundaries in the summer to familiarize myself with the area.
Please understand that I just can't give that away. I know how hard it is to find a place to hunt in unfamiliar territory, and if you perservere, you will find it.
Mike :surrender:

Mike Brines said:
Don't take this personally, Pronghorn. And at the risk of sounding like a snob, I don't show anyone where I hunt. I did that a couple of times, and the next thing you know, the place is crawling with hunters. I hunt in a very populated area, with lots of private property, and I worked really hard to make sure I don't cross PP lines. I got a Nat'l Forest map and a topo map, and traced the pp lines on the topo map so I would know where I was at all times. Then I walked the boundaries in the summer to familiarize myself with the area.
Please understand that I just can't give that away. I know how hard it is to find a place to hunt in unfamiliar territory, and if you perservere, you will find it.
Mike :surrender:

Same is true up here, even without all the boundary lines and hunter density. Show almost anyone where you hunt, and sooner or later it becomes "his" place too. And he'll bring in his best buddy to start the process over. I won't even park my truck at the same trailhead I'm hunting from.

No reflection on any individuals (though I have a few around here who need reflected up side the head), but just a measure of natural human processes. My hunting pards have been hand picked over the last 35 years, both because they're safe and respectful. To a man, they'll call before they hunt one of my favorite spots without me, just to make sure it won't interfere with my own plans. And they'd never take anyone else in there. Good hunting pards are a treasure, and it's a slow careful process to ID them.

...and they're extremely hard to find. I was very successful hunting elk because I did my homework, and then others tried to say they were the ones that did the work. Even my best friend boondoggled me, and brought some of his relatives from out of state after promising not to show it to anyone.
There's a story going around that started with me and my b-law. We were hunting some very steep ground, my dad was sitting at the top in some old glacial ponds. Tom and I were trying to chase any elk(which we had seen earlier)up that incline to my dad. We would huff and puff and take many breaks. At one point, we stopped to sit on a downed log, and he reached down and picked up an old, dry elk turd. He said, "You know how to tell if these are really fresh?" I said no, and he proceeded to take a bite out of it! And said, "Nope, not his one!" I laughed until my gut hurt. About half an hour later, he reached down and picked up another one and said, "Your turn!" and handed it to me. No, I didn't take a bite.
But I've told this story often, and now there are some who are trying to take credit for it.
What can I say??

Capper said:
They didn't become your pards until you trusted someone.

You have to start somewhere.

I start by taking them to known spots. They earn my trust for the special spots. Some of these guys I've been hunting with for over 35 years, and earned my trust long ago. They know that I'm not going to abuse their hotspots either.

Guys I've hunted with only a couple of years are still on probation and don't get to visit my good spots yet. They might, but that's still a few years out. I don't give strangers or new friends my house keys and I certainly don't trust them with hunting hot spots.

I understand, but you don't shut someone off like Brines did. Get to know them, and give them a chance.

I have hunting and fly fishing spots that I only show a few, and they've never abused it. In return they show me spots.

If I just shut everybody off. That would never happen.

Sure I do. What are you going to tell them when you're just getting acquainted and deciding whether or not to show them? Lie maybe? I just tell them nope, but hang around a few years and we might do it by and by. I'm proud to have 35-year hunting partners. And it started with honesty, and a no to taking them to my hot spots. A shut down? You bet, but for now. It's up to them whether or not it's for always.

I'll add one thing, call it advice for anyone starting out with a potential new hunting pard.

One of my most successful "gambits" for getting to know them from the standpoints of safety and trustworthiness is to explore new hunting areas with them. After a trip or two together it becomes a special place for both of you, and you both get to see how the other guy is about safety and keeping secrets.

One of the favorite things for me and long-time pards to do is reminisce about how we developed our favorite spots when they were new ground, and to this day to work together to "pioneer" new hunting grounds.

My usual hunting pard and I worked for over 10 years to sort out one area about 4 square miles, finding best access routes, learning how the animals respond to weather changes and turns of the calendar page. Unfortunately he's moving now, but even so, I'd still consult with him by long distance phone call before introducing anyone else to it. He may be 3,000 miles away, but it's still "his" place as much as mine.

and you know, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, these are your times, and your decisions. So you know brownbear, what it's like to work hard for a hunting site, and I have to admit I'm a little green around the gills because you have someone to hunt with. My hunting years are drawing to a close, and I'm not too sad that I have kept it as secret as I can.
And a side note, those that tried to give away what I earned are no longer under my feet, it was just too hard for them. THey couldn't handle the rough terrain, and the difficult packouts. So before I give it up, I still can hunt pretty much alone as long as I go the tough places. :v

BrownBear said:
Sure I do. What are you going to tell them when you're just getting acquainted and deciding whether or not to show them? Lie maybe? I just tell them nope, but hang around a few years and we might do it by and by. I'm proud to have 35-year hunting partners. And it started with honesty, and a no to taking them to my hot spots. A shut down? You bet, but for now. It's up to them whether or not it's for always.

Like me. I'm sure you have many spots to hunt. In my case fish too. Some are good, and some not so good. You go with a new friend to the not so good spots to see how things work out. Unless we're talking about a total noob. He should have spots too. You share and get to know each other. In time with trust you share everything.

I'll say it again. What I don't do is just shut someone out. It's not my style.

Here is the elusive S'no Bunnie:
Picture6.png

Got your "Park Pass"? :rotf:

No worries Mike, I have some really great private land to hunt too. I have heard more "war stories" from land owners who have been turned of by other hunters poor behavior than you can shake a stick at. I keep these places to myself as well.

I hunt in a very populated area, with lots of private property, and I worked really hard to make sure I don't cross PP lines. I got a Nat'l Forest map and a topo map, and traced the pp lines on the topo map so I would know where I was at all times.

Hah! I seen your pictures and I know exactly where you hunt!! :shocked2: :haha: But, I ain't tellin nobody and I aint goin there to hunt either!

Back