• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

snapping caps before fireing clean barrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicholas542

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I went shooting today with my CVA Frontier .50 Cal. I've been hearing about guys snaping a few caps before shooting to clear the barrel of oil. I tryed this method today with my 4 wing musket caps, and it worked like a charm. No hang fire from residual cleaning oil in the side drum. Worked like a charm. :bow: :grin: :thumbsup:

Sop is that standard operating practice ? I am new to the Black powder world only been doing it for 6-7 months now. My buddy I shoot with got a conversion nipple for CVA's that will take musket caps they seem too work better than #11's

When I was a reenactor, it was standard for us to snap caps before loading at the beginning of an event. I generally do this any time I'm shooting a caplock before a match. Earlier this year I forgot and loaded my chunk gun at the beginning of a match without snapping a cap. Laid down and took aim and POP! After snapping a couple I gave up and ran a wire through. No problems after that. You don't always have to snap a cap, but you don't know when those times are, so you're better off to do it every time before loading. To be absolutely sure it's clear, put your muzzle a couple of inches from a leaf on the ground and pop the cap. The leaf should at least move. A musket cap will often tear a green leaf apart.

50cal-shooter said:
I went shooting today with my CVA Frontier .50 Cal. I've been hearing about guys snaping a few caps before shooting to clear the barrel of oil. I tryed this method today with my 4 wing musket caps, and it worked like a charm. No hang fire from residual cleaning oil in the side drum. Worked like a charm. :bow: :grin: :thumbsup:

Congrats! I'm one of the guys here that tells the new folks to remember to snap the caps PRIOR to loading!

One more important tip: after oiling the gun, place it muzzle-down on a piece of paper toweling to let some oil drain out the muzzle. This way that extra oil doesn't get a chance to run down into the drum of a percussion rifle to make an ugly CRUD situation that CAUSES MISFIRES and Hang-fires! Then a dry patch to wipe the bore before you start shooting (snapping a couple caps) and you're all set to have a day's worth of fun without trouble!

My gerneral rule of thumb:

Anything but a load goes down the bore, dry gets (1) cap.

A spit patch down the throat gets (2) caps.

A patch soaked with bore cleaner gets (3) caps.

Extra squirt of cleaner, with pumping action to clear crud in flash channel gets (4) caps to dry it out!

The whole League where I'm at follows that set of rules and NOBODY has had Failure-to-Fire problems, so it must work!

Welcome Grasshopper, to your stage of Enlightenment, LOL :haha: amd have fun with your gun!

Dave

after oiling the gun, place it muzzle-down on a piece of paper toweling to let some oil drain out the muzzle.
One of the top Friendship shooters who helped me get started had, as part of his ritual, placing the rifle muzzle down the day before a match to drain any oil in the breech end.
I believe if you know how you cleaned your rifle, the cap snapping is only good for the makers and sellers of caps. Maybe one cap at the beginning of the day. I see guys getting their jollies snapping and snapping. No point but good for the cap business.

When I started out with this hobby I was told to always run a dry patch down the barrel before I pop couple caps. When rod and patch are pulled out you should see a burn on the patch. Don't load it if the burn mark isn't there. I also wipe the bore with alcohol to remove the oil put there for storage.

Simpler just to aim at a leaf or blade of grass and see if it moves. Also you can hear the cap explosion coming out of the muzzle. If you store your gun horizontally (in a rack) with the barrel up there won't be any problems with oil or anything else gathering in the nipple or drum. I store only one of my guns standing up and I do have to watch it more closely. It is a mule ear with a 1-1/4" barrel with thick walls. It has a very good place for oil to gather if I use a little too much.

I started at 6 yrs old shooting only bp, my father always started me out always bust 2-3 caps muzzle toward grass dust or leaf on ground,to make certain your gun is clear, and leave cap on nipple , this serves two purposes:
1. It makes sure flash hole is clear
2. No moister in barrel
here's an example last year dad and I were getting ready fo Georgia's muzzleloader hunt, he wanted, to use his trusty t/c hawkin( older than hell 40 yrs old and wore out two barrels milloions of rounds shot out of it), I cleaned it that day told him to pop a few caps through it to dryit out and clear the flash hole, he said nawww it'll be good, I warned him I put 5 musket caps through my 1855/61 fayettville and busted one more just for the heck of it, and left the cap on, next morning dads loading, hey I said you gonna bust a few caps , he just laughhed naw I had it leaned against the wall muzzle down it'll be good, well two hours later suns up , I spot movement Fromm right going left it's brown I up and bang nice big doe, couple mins go by I her pop, couple seconds later pop pause pop pause pop, hmmm... You know what that means, I reload walk quietly 200 tars were dads at see him tossing things too his left sneaking over to the edge if the tree line there's a 8 piont buck blowing at him and stomping the ground , well I couldn't help myself and burst out in laughter, buck took off, looked at the old man, what happened???? Dang gun woulnt go off, give it yo me , I pulled the nipple and dropped some powder in it replced nipple capped it off and blam, oh dad was hot, just looked at him and said well told ya to dry it out, but nooooo......... Don't listen to me, I don't know nuttin:), guess you know the rest of the story . It's a true story, honestly.

Rat Trapper said:
When I started out with this hobby I was told to always run a dry patch down the barrel before I pop couple caps. When rod and patch are pulled out you should see a burn on the patch. Don't load it if the burn mark isn't there. I also wipe the bore with alcohol to remove the oil put there for storage.

Both ideas are also very good! Since I don't use alcohol, I snap the caps. The patch with the burn mark is one idea I'll steal, LOL! Thanks!

Dave

Rifleman1776 said:
after oiling the gun, place it muzzle-down on a piece of paper toweling to let some oil drain out the muzzle.
One of the top Friendship shooters who helped me get started had, as part of his ritual, placing the rifle muzzle down the day before a match to drain any oil in the breech end.
I believe if you know how you cleaned your rifle, the cap snapping is only good for the makers and sellers of caps. Maybe one cap at the beginning of the day. I see guys getting their jollies snapping and snapping. No point but good for the cap business.

Unless they just finished cleaning/clearing the rifle. Then snapping is the right thing to do. Otherwise, at the beginning of the day, one cap at a blade of grass, etc. does the trick indeed!

Dave

Both ideas are also very good! Since I don't use alcohol, I snap the caps. The patch with the burn mark is one idea I'll steal, LOL! Thanks!

Dave[/quote]

I always wipe the bore with alcohol to remove any oil prior to poping any caps. By putting the rod and patch down the bore, any remaining oil will be blown into the patch. A burn on the patch makes it darn sure that you have a clear path to any powder you wish to pour down the bore.

Just for extra insurance when I'm going hunting, I drop a few grains of powder down, aim the gun up and snap one. I figure if it'll light a few grains, it'll for sure light a full load.

Even though I rarely use percussion anymore, when I did and was preparing for hunting this was my procedure: I would dry swab the clean bore; squirt some carburetor cleaner through the nipple; swab again until dry; wait for nipple/drum/barrel to dry, maybe overnight; load the lightly coat inside of barrel over charge with light oil as rust protectant and leave alone. This would stay that way until my first shot or season ended. Never had a failure to fire. But, for those who do snap caps, pulling or shooting the load is necessary as the cap firing is introducing corrosive materials into the breech. My method eliminates the daily cleaning need. BTW, I once loaded a Ruger Old Army with that technique and kept it loaded at home as a personal defense pistol for several years. No corrosion and fired immediately when I finally decided to shoot it.

shortbow said:
Just for extra insurance when I'm going hunting, I drop a few grains of powder down, aim the gun up and snap one. I figure if it'll light a few grains, it'll for sure light a full load.

By doing things this way you have to clean the rifle at the end of the day. If you just run the rod and patch down the barrel and pop couple caps you will be able to see if everything is clear. Caps are noncorrosive black powder is not.

Here I go swimming upstream again. I never pop caps before loading, haven't for many years. I did when I first got into black powder shooting, but then I thought about it and decided it wasn't necessary. That proved to be true.

I've never used anything but real black powder. I usually load my gun at home, frequently the night before a hunt. In all the years I've done that I have never had a single misfire while hunting.

I think that if you need to pop caps you are not doing a thorough job of cleaning in the first place.

I know that many replica guns have funky breeches with real mazes, patent breeches and such, for the fire to negotiate, and I can see where popping caps could seem more necessary with them, but I suspect a thorough cleaning would work with them, too. When I finish cleaning my guns, I know the fire channel is clear, without a doubt.

Want to know if the channel is open? Blow through the barrel. It's quieter, won't scare the turkeys. :haha:

Spence

When I used to shoot caplocks I did snap a cap before loading but after trying it without doing so and seeing no change in dependability I quit the practice, I also thought it to be a good indication that my cleaning method was satisfactory, certainly nothing wrong in snapping a cap before loading just wipe all the residue off and I used to run a pipe cleaner down the nipple orifice to,avoid any hydroscopioc problems, if one feels more confident snapping a cap, do so as confidence in ones gear is half the battle.

I did about the same thing, too. Never had a FTF due to my cleaning and prep work. I made liberal use of pipe cleaners and I believe that made a difference as well.

Back